FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser AVX

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Dunford
Sennheiser AVX
on Jul 26, 2017 at 8:52:36 pm

Sennheiser AVX system, whats with the country specific frequency bands. I though the '1.9mhz' band was designed not to be country specific. Would it be illegal if I used my UK AVX in the US or vis a versa?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Sennheiser AVX
on Jul 27, 2017 at 4:02:51 am

I think you mean the 1.9GHz band (not MHz).

Sennheiser apparently believe that we, their customers and end-users, are not smart enough to understand details like what frequency bands they make for different countries.

But the manual warns (more than once) that different varieties "cannot" be used in other geographies. And furthermore that transmitters and receivers designed for different geographies cannot be paired together.

OTOH, 2.4GHz products use the ISM band which is available everywhere on the planet (except perhaps in North Korea and at NFL games).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Rob Dunford
on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:21:06 pm

It's the same poster as the OP replying, somehow my account has been deactivated....
I get what you are saying and I can see how Sennheiser could screw with the frequencies or something to make a US version not work with an EU version and visa a versa, but they don't seem to 'explain' why a US version cannot be operated outside the USA... or do they and I'm not seeing the official info anywhere.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 4, 2017 at 11:17:58 am

Hi
I don't think its anything that Sennheiser are saying you cant do.
I think its the Radio Frequency allocations in different countries, and how the spectrum is split between different users that dictates what frequencies can be used in say the UK, but not elsewhere (legally).
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 12, 2017 at 12:50:20 am

Didn't see this when the thread first appeared.

It's not that your AVX system won't work elsewhere.

The units will technically "work" anywhere.

A transmitter and matching receiver will function as a closed system and do the job just fine

The issue is that in one geographic area like the US or Europe the frequencies are coordinated so that devices from outside that system can interfere with the proper function of the home systems.

If you're in an open field in Norway - your US frequency AVX system will likely work just fine.

If, on the other hand, you put the same system in the middle of an RF rich London, Berlin or Tokyo setting, and the receiver gets hammered by other devices - you've got a problem because there's nothing regulatory protecting your US frequencies there.

It's not that they won't work. It's that the way they work loses proper regulatory interference protection.

Simple as that.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]