Voice recording while walking

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gennady Gaidukevich
Voice recording while walking
on Jun 22, 2017 at 4:28:36 pm

Hello everybody, I want to start making pickup / prank videos like this one –

– and I’ve some questions.

1) I like ZOOM H1, I like how it records sound in loud environment (clubs etc). For example I was using my Xiaomi Redsmi 3S phone and sound was a mess: https://goo.gl/XsiS8n I like the battery and I like how it saves the file even when memory is full. But I don’t like this device size. So I have two questions:

- is there any smartphone or some more portable recorder that has similar to ZOOM quality?

- I found ZOOM iQ8 and Shure MV88, but I don’t like iPhones and I don’t want to buy myself one. Is there any way how I could use it on Android? For example if I buy some kind of cable? Or does it depend on iOS software?

2) My goal is to record dialogues in loud environment – clubs, street etc. What would be better option in terms of quality: just ZOOM H1 or ZOOM H1 and lav mic?

3) How do I remove clothing rustle when I move? For example if I put my ZOOM into my jeans pocket then when I walk there is a lot of rustle. But when I watch Youtube videos I don’t see this kind of issue. How they do it?

This dude is walking but there is no rustle at all.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Voice recording while walking
on Jun 22, 2017 at 6:33:41 pm

Hello Gennady and thanks for visiting us,

He probably has a well-placed lav and wireless link to the camera or maybe something like this.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1281085-REG/tascam_dr_10l_mini_porta...

Regards,
Ty Ford Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Jun 22, 2017 at 7:52:49 pm

[Gennady Gaidukevich] "2) My goal is to record dialogues in loud environment – clubs, street etc. What would be better option in terms of quality: just ZOOM H1 or ZOOM H1 and lav mic?"

Omni lav mic. Why? Understandability of dialog is largely dependent on signal-to-noise ratio. This is largely controlled by mic placement. That is, getting the mic closer to the sound source (speaker's mouth) lets you record sound that is more dialog and less background sound (noise).

If that's not enough, remember that lav mics don't have to be worn in the standard "lavalier position" of center-of-chest. You can also clip them to the visor of a hat, the inside of a glasses frame, etc. If none of these give sufficient performance, a last resort might be an ear-set mic which lets you put a cardioid mic right at the corner of the mouth. It's difficult to get much better signal-to-noise ratio than that.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 23, 2017 at 4:46:49 pm

As Mr. Ford and Mr. Watson have said, the closer you can get the microphone to the subjects' mouths , the better you will be for selectively capturing the dialog over the ambient noise.

If you want a clip-on lav mic that plugs into your phone, consider something like....

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B016V3663Y/

The outstanding feature of these microphones is that they have a built-in connector to plug in your monitor headphones (or earbuds, etc.) See my signature line below....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]