FORUMS: list search recent posts

Random high pitched noise spike in microphone recordings

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxime Grenier
Random high pitched noise spike in microphone recordings
on May 25, 2017 at 9:00:50 pm

This has been happening for the last 2-3 weeks. I have tried to find the source of it, plugged my AT2020 USB in different ports, played with the settings etc and this still happens.
The sound bug sometimes happen any time between 5 minutes and or every 5 -10 seconds.
It seems totally random, sometime not happening for 5-6 minutes.

What is even weirder is that I had this mic for more than 6 months, recorded nearly 400 videos and it only NOW started doing this.

I am recording in OBS, the microphone being on it's very own audio track.

Here is an example of one of my videos.

Here are some time stamps where the microphone make weird high pitch static noise.
- 5:04
- 6:36
- 8:10
- 11:42
- and on and on...

When I look at the audio wave, there is a very clear spike going all the way to the top.
This is really getting on my nerves!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Random high pitched noise spike in microphone recordings
on May 26, 2017 at 3:19:25 am

Listened to all the time stamps and did not hear anything like you described. There was a click type of sound about 1 sec after your time stamp that could be easily removed in editing.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Maxime Grenier
on May 26, 2017 at 1:52:27 pm

The noise happens 1-2 seconds after every sound stamp I've given.
I do not want to edit it in post because I record hours of footage.
I want to prevent this sound glitch from happening in the first place, not search, find, and edit the possible 30-100+ sounds glitches throughout each videos!

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on May 26, 2017 at 12:51:06 pm

Those little "hits" sound to me very much like cell phone RFI. It's a USB mic, so not using XLR cables. The RFI could be getting into your system any number of ways, but mic and/or cable are usually the most likely candidates.

Return to posts index

Maxime Grenier
on May 26, 2017 at 1:55:46 pm

Thanks for the intel.

What would be the best way to prevent that and why did it start happening out of the blue? :(

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 27, 2017 at 5:54:57 am

Sounds to me like typical artifacts from the recording device being unable to keep up with the audio sampling rate and recording to a file, etc. etc. Are you recording on the SAME machine that you are playing the game? What is the % CPU usage? The more CPU is used to generate all those video frames for your game, the less time it has to properly sample the audio and organize it into a file.

I would closely examine the computer to shut down all the non-essential processes that drain cycles from the CPU. It is also possible that recent updates to your computer could leave it less capable of handling both running the game and simultaneously recording the video and audio streams. OS and application "updates" are a major hazard to any software-based recording scheme. It seems possible that your computer is now simply too wimpy to handle smooth game play at high frame rates PLUS recording video and audio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]