FORUMS: list search recent posts

Podcast Studio Furniture

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Kuenneke
Podcast Studio Furniture
on May 11, 2017 at 8:51:35 pm

Our podcast studio is nothing more than mismatched folding chairs and a rat's nest of cables. Where could I find a studio table with isolation for the mic booms? The room is small - about 140 inches x 140.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Podcast Studio Furniture
on May 12, 2017 at 1:31:32 am

For a TV series, with four guys around a table, we use something like http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10152724/
But we use lav mics on the guys, not something on a boom.

I would consider a table like that and drill a 2 inch hole in the middle. Then you can mount the mic boom(s) on a mic stand sitting on the floor. That will completely isolate the microphones from the table top.

We will be shooting the 5th season in a couple of months....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on May 12, 2017 at 1:57:33 am

Thank you, Richard - excellent suggestion.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 12, 2017 at 12:52:47 pm

Hello Richard,

Great idea. Great sound. What mics are you using there? Sounds like a lot of effort to fix the room. Are you using an auto mixer? Are all the mics hot all the time?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on May 12, 2017 at 1:52:23 pm

Hi Ty:

Great to hear from you. We're using Sennheiser MD46 microphones. If I position the mic stands properly, there's little crossover. We use a Mackie 1202VL24 and Innkeeper PBX for when we do phone interviews. If the podcast is produced without the telephone, I bypass the mixer and plug directly into our four channel Zoom H6.

Yes. The microphones are hot throughout the podcast. We covered the walls with moving blankets so there's a decent amount of sound deadening. However, I have one podcast host who tends to speak louder than everyone else.

I'm very careful to maintain headroom when I record. I work with the podcast hosts on the microphone distance and other disciplines, like not laughing directly into the mic or trying to shout over someone else. But it doesn't always work. So I was considering the table in order to control mic position. I would then give everyone their own headphone volume control. Right now I send headphone output from the H6 into 4 channel headphone AMP. As mentioned before, the result is a snarl of cables across the floor.

By the way, tech support from JK Audio - who manufactures the Innkeeper PBX is amazing.

Bottom line - I have a very small room 140 x 140 inches and need a way to control mic position and headphone volume for each host. I am considering this table as well.

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_info?pfam_id=PFAM34899&pro...

But I'm wondering how I could isolate the microphones enough to prevent table noise.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. I have additional questions about editing the audio. But I'll save those for another post.

Rich

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 12, 2017 at 5:11:39 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on May 12, 2017 at 5:24:05 pm

The "Table Talk" show (at least that first season) used a couple of OST 801, an MXL lav, and a Rode Lav.
I posted about this a few years ago with a "guess the mic contest". https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/30/871143
And more info here: https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/30/872709

The "room" was a giant warehouse, so the only near reflection was from the table top. But the warehouse was big enough that even 2 or 3 guys talking on top of each other didn't start loading the ambient. The overlap of guys talking over each other, and the 3:1 rule were the major issues with mixing the audio.

The entire show was shot completely iso video and iso audio and video switched and audio mixed in post-production editing. The camera operators were given general instructions and the "director" pretty much sat back and ensured that we had at least a couple of decent shots at all times. There were perhaps a half-dozen times during a 1 hour show when the director would tell a camera to get a different shot.

The producer edited the show himself and hand-tweaked the audio mix. Because the "crosstalk" from adjacent guys was so high, conventional "auto-mix" methods fail miserably. In a couple of cases he actually used an adjacent mic where the "primary" mic audio couldn't be used for some reason. We spent a lot of time getting the mic position and fastening just right to prevent movement noise. In some cases, we gaff-taped a mic to the chest (vs. inside the shirt collar).

On the most recent season, we used a Zoom F8 recorder with four channels on the four guys, and the other four channels at 10dB down for protection. (Which is a very convenient built-in function of the F8).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 12, 2017 at 8:37:47 pm

Richard Crowley,

What are those four things sticking up out of the center of the table?
Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on May 12, 2017 at 9:17:08 pm

What table are you referring?

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 13, 2017 at 5:59:53 am

[Ty Ford] "What are those four things sticking up out of the center of the table?"
Those are stacks of toy magnets in odd shapes. They are rather hyper types and they like having a few "toys" on the table to fiddle with. They even use some of them on occasion as an impromptu prop to illustrate a point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]