FORUMS: list search recent posts

One Condenser mic into 2 PCs?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Derek
One Condenser mic into 2 PCs?
on Apr 29, 2017 at 11:09:13 am

To my delight I have found I can record locally on Vegas while also linking to a remote studio with Source Connect all on one PC. Has anyone advice on how to run two local PCs recording in vegas with 1 mic?

The current configuration is a Win 7 64 PC running Source Connect, a Rode mic with FocusRite 2i2 2nd Gen USB interface.

If I need to route the sound to another PC to record locally also, what are your views if I get a second 2i2 for the other PC and feed that from the balanced line out of the first 2i2?

I have an analogue mixer that I do not use anymore but I do not want to resort back to analogue, and do not want to buy a digital mixer as I only need one channel input and it will not have 2 USB outputs so I will need a second USB interface if I use a second PC.

Or I use a second mic but they are not paired then using both sound sources IF ASKED in the final mix may cause issues.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: One Condenser mic into 2 PCs?
on Apr 30, 2017 at 2:08:55 am

You didn't mention WHY you are recording to a second computer? You won't get sample-coherent recordings, so you wouldn't be able to mix them together.

If the second "recorder" is only for backup, then you could get something like a Behringer UCA202 to plug into the second computer. Then take a line-level analog out from the 2i2 and feed it into the Behringer UCA202.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Peter Derek
on Apr 30, 2017 at 6:25:25 am

Thank you Richard very much for the link

The reason is that the host studio producer wanted a back up in case of any drop out in the link. None was detected.

As the recording was one voice he felt he could refer back to the back up file if needed. I note your comment but ask if the back up recording would be almost the same to allow them to at least use an entire phrase from the back up if needed in the final mix.
They would no doubt need to add some FX as drivers on local machines and others settings would be different.

But the huge news for me is that, to my delight, I have found I can record locally on Sony Vegas while also linking to a remote studio with Source Connect all on one PC. I do not know why it did not work before but it does - it was my fault not that of the system. So the recording function in Source Connect record, as does Vegas all while Source Connect is sending and receiving the stream.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 30, 2017 at 4:02:06 pm

The backup recording would be of equal quality, etc. But it wouldn't be sample-coherent. So, if you needed to replace the entire recording with the backup copy, or cut between them, no problem. But you couldn't MIX the two recordings together.

Note also that because of slight imprecision in consumer-level gear, there may be some drift in audio/video lock after perhaps 10 minutes. So the longer the clip, the more likely to slip out of sync. Some people report no perceptible loss of sync even after 30 minutes, while some people see perhaps several frames of difference after 10 minutes. Typically this isn't a great problem. Especially if you are editing video with B-roll inserts or other edit points where you can "pull-up" the sound/picture sync.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]