FORUMS: list search recent posts

Settings for recording location dialogue with Zoom H4n and Rode Shotgun NTG-2

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victoria Thaine
Settings for recording location dialogue with Zoom H4n and Rode Shotgun NTG-2
on Apr 28, 2017 at 10:32:42 pm

Hi, I'm a filmmaker and needing to do my own recording for some off-screen dialogue and BG noise for a web-series. I'll be getting toddlers to do the dialogue and also capture sound of three children playing. What would be the basic settings to use for recording the lines, and if I'm wanting to get the sound of them playing should I always record with the mic as close as possible and allow the sound designer to tweak it in post (ie. if we wanted them to sound further away, like they're in a backyward that effect is dealt with in post rather than trying to emulate it at time of recording?). Thanks in advance for your help - also happy just to be pointed in any other helpful places on the web...

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Settings for recording location dialogue with Zoom H4n and Rode Shotgun NTG-2
on Apr 29, 2017 at 6:56:46 am

OK
Firstly wear headphones.
Second, before you start shooting for real, make a test recording and play it back and adjust based on that.

There isnt really any "set up" to be followed but ensure you are getting healthy levels on your meters. Id aim for around 2/3 on the scale. The dubbing mixer can work with that . That also leaves headroom for unexpected louder moments.
Make sure you wear headphones all the time youre recording.
The general rule is to get the mic close (within a 18 inches or so) for the best audio. You ask if distance can be created in post? Not really. Decreasing the level and eq ing in post has the "effect" of pushing the sound away but if you really want a distance then mic at a distance as this captures the distance effects of the room which is rather hard to replicate in post. Depends how good your mixer is! But be aware that youre committing to a style at the shoot which cant be undone so Id say record both close and distance! You could double mic where you close mic everything on 1 channel of the recorder and have a second mic at a distance for that style on channel 2?
Oh and did I mention to wear headphones throughout.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Victoria Thaine
Re: Settings for recording location dialogue with Zoom H4n and Rode Shotgun NTG-2
on Apr 29, 2017 at 9:39:12 am

Thanks Peter - that's really helpful - I've been geeking out on youtube videos and picked up tips from a few other forums so think I have a handle on things (well enough not to stuff it up!). Thanks for the advice on the background noise that's supposed to be at a distance - I'll try a few different variations at different distances for safety. And I'll make sure I wear headphones - ALL the time! I may even just wear some tonight in bed to make sure I don't forget :)

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on May 2, 2017 at 11:07:18 pm

The Zoom H4n and Rode NTG2 are NOT a good combination...... the Zoom has noisey preamps (if pushed hard) and the NTG2 mic has a very low output.......

There is lots on many forums about this combination, and its not good.

'Celebrating 40 years of Broadcasting Audio....
Started with Magnetic stripe and Sprocket holes to now Gigabytes and Touch Screen Mixing Consoles'......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]