Last Edited By Bob Mark on Apr 28, 2017 at 8:06:56 pm

Has anybody tried it?

Thanks

Bob

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Anybody using a Zoom F4?
on Apr 28, 2017 at 8:24:52 pm

I did a TV season with a Zoom F8, probably again this summer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Apr 29, 2017 at 7:30:27 pm

Did you use it as a mixer and recorder or just as a recorder? How was the noise level?

Thank you.

Bob

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 30, 2017 at 2:02:41 am

Used the front panel knobs only for setting recording levels. They are quite small for attempting to do any kind of "real-time" mix.
The noise-level was excellent. Broadcast quality. The the latest season is currently on the air.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 1, 2017 at 2:15:02 pm

Very cool, Richard. I was trying to find an all in one rig for field recording to camera with back-up. I am working a documentary and there are never more than two mics at a time and one is only a reference track. Congrats on your series!

Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 2, 2017 at 12:46:29 pm

I just found out that the Zoom F4 only has consumer line level output. That will not work for me as a mixer. It might be a nice recorder, though.

Bob

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on May 2, 2017 at 11:03:40 pm

Don't worry about the -10db out.... I did a shoot on one of the new Black Magic URSA mini cameras and the F4 went in as a strong mic level, don't need to go in at line level.

Its better to go in as a strong mic and wind the input down to about 5 (on a 1-10 scale) than go in @ line and wind the gain up to match (and induce noise) Remember that most line inputs are just a 40db pad before going in @ mic level.

The trend on many digital mixers / gear is NOT to have a mic / line setting but a single input that can go from mic to line and anywhere in between.

So unless you are direct feed a ENG link the -10 isn't an issue.

The F4 is a great package for the price.....

'Celebrating 40 years of Broadcasting Audio....
Started with Magnetic stripe and Sprocket holes to now Gigabytes and Touch Screen Mixing Consoles'......

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 3, 2017 at 2:45:48 pm

OK. So, you are saying the output level is variable, and there is a tone generator on board so you can set levels. Is that correct? How loud is the headphone amplifier for the return signal? The specs say only 100mw, which seems low.

Thank you, Brian

Bob

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on May 3, 2017 at 7:06:48 pm

[Bob Mark] "I just found out that the Zoom F4 only has consumer line level output. That will not work for me as a mixer."

Yep. That's the general conclusion of this thread.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on May 3, 2017 at 10:45:52 pm

So Bruce what are you feeding that requires a 'critical' +4?
If you are feeding a camera -10 is fine.... It actually works VERY well.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on May 4, 2017 at 12:29:48 pm

[Brian Reynolds] "So Bruce what are you feeding that requires a 'critical' +4?
If you are feeding a camera -10 is fine.... It actually works VERY well."

That thread isn't mine, I just posted it for the OP to read should they want someone else's take on it.

I basically agree with you that most applications just don't need a full +4 dBu line level.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 4, 2017 at 2:31:28 pm

Most of today's cameras have flexible input trimming. So, I'm sure you can use a wide variety of input levels. I am just used to the old broadcast definitions of line and mic level. From the thread that Bruce provided, they say the F4 tone generator is not very usable to set reference levels to camera. I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. I might be better off with a used Sound Devices 552 for twice the money. Otherwise, maybe a small separate recorder to go with my mixer. It's just for backup in case the camera has an audio problem (which recently happened). Thanks for your replies.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on May 12, 2017 at 6:28:00 pm

I see that the Tascam DR-70D also has -10 dBV as it's standard output level. It's max out is listed as +6dBV.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]