FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Wind like" noise from Sennheiser K6

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicklas Dahlström
"Wind like" noise from Sennheiser K6
on Apr 27, 2017 at 12:39:03 pm

Hi

I'm having some trouble with one of our K6's. It generates this weird noise that sounds like wind in a tunnel or maybe ocean waves in the distance. Unlike any noise I've ever heard from a microphone. Some searching gave me idea that it might be the ground screw, but the screw was tight and the noise doesn't really sound like noise coming from faulty grounding.

So I'm lost for an answer...

As far as I can see the problem lies with the K6 itself, as the noise stays the same both with and without the Me66 module on.
Perhaps I should mention that it's phantom powered.
Also, there's nothing wrong with the recording device, it's been checked with our other microphones.

Any one come across this same problem? If so, did you fix it or is tossing it and buying a new one my best bet?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: "Wind like" noise from Sennheiser K6
on Apr 28, 2017 at 10:29:33 am

Is your voltage definitely right. - such as t12 vs 48v etc?
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 28, 2017 at 4:47:35 pm

A common cause of that kind of noise is electrical leakage typically caused by foreign material (microscopic dust, etc.) in high-impedance, sensitive areas. I would use good-quality alcohol to thoroughly clean especially the internal surfaces of the K6 and up inside the ME66 as well.

In the USA, we have an adult beverage called "Everclear" which is as close as you can get to pure ethyl alcohol (ethanol) without any additives, etc. Pure alcohol (95%) will evaporate and leave nothing behind, while "denatured" alcohol has things added to make it unsuitable for drinking, but which also make it less desirable for super-cleaning as required here.

We used to use Freon for this kind of cleaning before "Global Warming" became the latest phenomenon. Never mind that just the sheep in New Zealand produce an order of magnitude more greenhouse gases than all the solvent Freon used around the planet. But apparently mutton chops are more important than electrical cleaning.

Microphone noise -> surface contamination -> cleaning solvents -> alcohol -> Freon -> anthropogenic global warming -> greenhouse gases -> sheep in New Zealand Does that cover everything? :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Apr 28, 2017 at 5:43:28 pm

[Richard Crowley] "We used to use Freon for this kind of cleaning before "Global Warming" became the latest phenomenon. Never mind that just the sheep in New Zealand produce an order of magnitude more greenhouse gases than all the solvent Freon used around the planet. But apparently mutton chops are more important than electrical cleaning."

And the result of banning that freon that you so cavalierly dismiss is that the ozone hole we humans enlarged over Antarctica has shrunk back down, just as scientists predicted. And that means less UV exposure for your New Zealand sheep. It took about 30 years to heal that damage IIRC. You can look it up if you want, Goggle is your friend. This wasn't about "green house gasses" so much as it was about freon(s) (the family of chlorofluorocarbons) explicitly.

Global warming isn't a political point of view. The facts are the facts. The consensus among scientists supporting the theory that humans are causing an alarming amount of global warming is about the same as it is supporting the theory of gravity. That would be about 97% IIRC, for both theories.

All that said, I agree with you about the OP's need to clean his mic. A surprisingly high percentage of electrical problems come from dirty connectors IME.

Return to posts index

Nicklas Dahlström
on Apr 28, 2017 at 10:20:36 pm

Three replies in and we're already discussing global warming haha
That aside, I will try the suggestion of cleaning it out, freons or no freons, when I'm back at work Tuesday. Thanks ☺

As for the voltage I'd say it's correct, we have other k6/me66 working with the exact same setup.

Return to posts index

Nicklas Dahlström
on May 3, 2017 at 10:16:32 am

So I tried cleaning it, but no luck. I'll give it one more go, even more thorough, to really be sure.

In the meantime, here´s a recording of the noise. I know this sounds like a drafty vent or something, but the room is silent and the noise stays the same regardless wether where I am, inside or outside.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9d8rnqlag7tze6/170305_237_st.wav?dl=0

Should anyone have the time to listen and give suggestions, I'd be grateful!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]