FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lapel Mic Poor Sound for Voice

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Charman
Lapel Mic Poor Sound for Voice
on Mar 17, 2017 at 4:16:37 pm

Hello there! (-:

I’d be extremely grateful for a little advice!

I’m attempting to record a simple video of me talking, using my Samsung Galaxy S5, and want good sound quality for my voice.

After doing a little research, I bought a BOYA BY-M1 Lavalier Microphone, however, the sound quality is really poor and pretty much the same as using my phone without the lavalier mic.

I’ve watched several YouTube videos on mic positioning as well as recording using a smartphone, and have tried every position, including in the centre of my upper chest, as well as under clothes, but still, rather disappointingly, the sound quality of my voice is poor…

It sounds ok if I turn the volume right down, but, as I said, no difference to just using my phone without the mic…

Is there anything else I can try?! Is it more about editing? Or is it just a bad mic that I need to send back?!

A massive thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply...

Tom 😊

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Lapel Mic Poor Sound for Voice
on Mar 18, 2017 at 1:37:06 am

Have you confirmed that you are picking up the sound from the microphone and not from the internal microphone in your device? That could be as simple as tapping on the microphone with your fingernail to isolate the mechanical sound and eliminate confusion of sound going through the air.

We assume that you have properly installed the included coin-cell battery in the "line-lump". Does it work properly if you plug it into some other device?

What happens if you move the mic around when you are talking. If you aim it right at your mouth from 6~8 inches away and hold it there does it sound better? Are you putting it so close to your neck that you are experiencing "chin shading"

For the same purpose, I bought this "IK Multimedia iRig Mic Lav compact lavalier microphone for smartphones and tablets". A major selling factor for me was that it allows you to plug in your headphones (or earbuds) so that you can HEAR what the microphone is doing. That meets the requirements of my signature phrase below....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 18, 2017 at 7:04:54 am

Hello Thomas an thanks for stopping by the Cow Audio Forum.

Thanks for your right on response, Richard! You're a real value-added part of the Cow!

Heh, the old which mic am I really using gambit.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Thomas Charman
on Mar 20, 2017 at 4:58:18 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much for your response – I really appreciate it…

And Hi Ty! (-:

I had indeed tested and confirmed that I was picking up the sound from the mic and not the phone’s internal microphone, and I had also installed the battery, and everything else you wisely suggest! (-:

Since your response, which confirmed that I was doing things correctly! (-: I’ve played around with the volume within video editing software, and that seems to be the key. In other words, it sounds ok when played at a lower level, through a decent speaker. If I simply play it on my phone or laptop at a high volume, and without a speaker, it sounds buzzy/tinny…

That said, it’s not that much better than just using my phone without the lapel mic. So I might get the mic you suggested!

With regards to the volume - is it best, as I mentioned, to determine the quality by limiting the volume maximum in an editing software to prevent buzzing?

Thanks Again!

Tom (-:

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 21, 2017 at 4:21:44 am

Tom,

Buzzing is a nebulous word. Try posting this audio somewhere where we can hear it.

Thanks,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]