FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless Mic recommendations for recording a yoga class?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Herbst
Wireless Mic recommendations for recording a yoga class?
on Jan 30, 2017 at 3:09:02 am

I have a yoga studio client that is wanting to record their live yoga classes at their studio. I normally film stationary interviews where I can use a boom setup or a lav connected in to my Tascam DR-60. That won't work in this situation however, since the teacher will be moving about the room and I don't want a big old cord hanging from her!

So, can anyone recommend a good wireless microphone setup for this situation?
I'm curious what the woman is using in the second video on this page:
https://www.yogaprowheel.com/

TYIA!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Wireless Mic recommendations for recording a yoga class?
on Jan 30, 2017 at 5:42:58 am

In both the first and second video the instructor is using an 'over ear microphone' lots on the market by Sennheiser, DPA, Rode' and other 'generic' makers. That sort of mic is often referred to as a 'Madonna mic'

This sort of mic is used for theatre type productions. Note in both videos the cable runs down the talents back to a transmitter which then sends it to a receiver (small black box near her shoulder blade) unit then to the camera / recorder.
You can actually see the mic hooked over the talents right ear and it wraps around her right cheek.

The wireless system that is best for you totally depends on your budget, if you start top end think Lectrosonics, Zaxcom, the next level down would be Sennheiser, Shure, Sony. I will not recommend anything below that as with a decrease in cost comes an increase of problems.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jan 30, 2017 at 5:47:08 am

Boom mics don't work well in videos like that as the camera is often very wide for good sound and often the person is facing in the wrong direction, like talking to the floor when they are lying down.

Over the ear / headset combination is a good choice.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 30, 2017 at 6:59:15 am

Look up "aerobics microphone" and you will see dozens of examples of the kind of microphones used for presenters who are moving around vigorously. This is a very common "use case" and many vendors have options for microphones of various types.

Perhaps the most popular kind if microphone for this applicataion is the headset (or "earset") microphone. Some of them are quite ruggedly built for "heavy-duty" use in vigorous exercise programs.

Some are quite lightweight and nearly invisible.

However, my guess is that the person in the video you cited has a clip-on "lav" mic clipped to her top garment, perhaps in the center?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Erin Herbst
on Feb 2, 2017 at 9:35:45 pm

Thanks Richard! Can you share the make/model of the beige mic?
Erin

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Feb 2, 2017 at 9:45:46 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Feb 2, 2017 at 9:49:58 pm

There are many sources, models, versions, and colors of microphones like that:

from B&H: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=3779&N=4263084562+4263084994&origS...
OST: http://www.oscarsoundtech.com/aboutus.html

I did not identify the mic in the photo because there are likely at least a dozen options that are virtually indistinguishable.

Note also that those very thin, nearly invisible models are not the favorite of aerobics instructors who move around vigorously. But for more sedate Yoga classes, they would probably be OK.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 30, 2017 at 7:08:32 am

When I look at the instructor's back, I see the wireless "body pack" transmitter under the bottom strap of the pink top garment. I see the antenna stretched up to her neck (perhaps the top of the antenna is secured to the garment? And It appears that the tan-color microphone cable loops down under the garment which suggests it it going around to the front.

However, the "presence" of the dialog recording remains very consistent as she turns her head which strongly suggests that she is wearing a very low-profile headset mic. Although I cannot see it at all. In some cases (like opera) they hide microphones just above the hair-line.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jan 30, 2017 at 8:43:28 am

When you pause the clips its amazing what you can see, in the first clip you can see the mic clearly at about 1:20 altho I feel the mic is positioned a little to low down on her jaw.
Clip 2 you can see the mic clearly from :27 - 1:00 and further on at 10:18 you can clearly see the transmitter clipped to her pants.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 30, 2017 at 3:51:17 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Jan 30, 2017 at 3:51:41 pm

@Brian, now that I watch it again at 1080 I agree that her very small earset microphone is clearly visible below her jaw-line on her right side. This is an excellent illustration of the point that they can be deployed to be very effective (minimizing the difficult reverberant ambience and folowing head-turning) while remaining nearly invisible.

Finding a good place to secure the "body pack" transmitter is sometimes a challenge depending on activity and wardrobe for the particular shot. The first video was an excellent example of a good solution to a difficult case. A bare midriff and bending over backwards over that wheel are pretty far out there from normal everyday wireless mic deployment.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Feb 2, 2017 at 8:57:39 pm

Note in the picture Mr. Crowley posted of the young woman's back where the body pack transmitter antenna is. If the antenna touches skin, bad things happen. Mainly most of the transmit power gets shunted into the skin and your transmission range therefore decreases sharply. What was once 100m of range can turn into 15m quickly. This "power starvation" increases the likelihood of dropouts and other artifacts. So keep the antenna off the skin. Sadly, this includes keeping the antenna off a sweat soaked shirt as well, as the sweat does a great job of conducting; a sweaty shirt is almost like direct skin contact that way.

Search around the 'net and you'll find various strategies on how to deal with this. You can't be the first one to try to do this; someone else has been there, done that, and posted about it. I always try to learn from other peoples' mistakes if I can.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 2, 2017 at 9:35:43 pm

Bruce is correct about RF body absorption. (Never mind what it might be doing to the person wearing the mic!)

Football and basketball players sometimes use this.....http://www.q5x.com/products/wireless-transmitters/qt-300-playermic/

I'm not sure where the antenna is on this device.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 30, 2017 at 1:52:38 pm

Great detective work, gentlemen!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]