FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound baffles in new studio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark DAgostino
Sound baffles in new studio
on Jan 12, 2017 at 2:44:32 pm

I've been tasked with outfitting a small studio in our new regional headquarters in Baltimore. The studio is 12'x18' and 12' high. I am having a grid put in and using all LED lighting. The floor is carpeted. I need to put panels on the walls and possibly drop some sound baffles from the ceiling. Does anyone have experience/recommendation with doing this? I'll need to hire a contractor to do the actual work.
I don't want to make it completely dead like a sound booth with Sonex walls. I was thinking cloth covered insulation panels placed strategically on the walls and Sonex panels suspended vertically from the ceiling. I'd also like to put something in the back corners to eliminate the 90 degree angles. The front already has the corners softened with 45 degree angles.
This studio will be used almost exclusively for 1-2 person talking heads ion front of a green screen.
Thanks!

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Sound baffles in new studio
on Jan 12, 2017 at 6:21:02 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Jan 12, 2017 at 6:21:23 pm

I don't want to make it completely dead like a sound booth...

Why not? Nothing shouts "sloppy amateur hour" like a sound track with room reverb and close reflections. It immediately makes people think you recorded it in a public toilet. It seems quite unlikely that you can make it TOO absorbing (like anechoic chamber).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Mark DAgostino
on Jan 13, 2017 at 4:39:48 pm

This is a video studio, not that it matters but I forgot to note that. I do believe a room can be too "dead" and over the past 35 years I've cared about the quality of audio as being equally as important as the video I capture, if not more so. In fact, I'd rather watch lesser quality video with a great soundtrack, than outrageously great video with poor sound.
I've never embraced "sloppy amateur hour".

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 12, 2017 at 8:13:58 pm

Is this studio for audio, video or both? Does it need to be isolated from environmental noise (internal or external to the building)?

Regardless, there are two parts to preparing a room: sound isolation and acoustical treatment.

Isolation is achieved by putting mass between the outside world and the studio. Isolation is not accomplished by placing Sonex on the walls. In your case you might build a room within your room. IOW, literally place a new wall filled with insulation (so there's no resonance inside the wall) and covered with a couple layers of 5/8" sheetrock around the interior. Also, since parallel surfaces in a studio are anathema ,as they create standing waves, you can angle the new walls (and don't forget the ceiling).

Acoustical treatment depends a lot on the use of the room. Do you want live areas, dead areas, something in the middle? There are three main types of acoustic devices you can use to shape your room's acoustics: base traps, absorptive materials (for mid frequencies) and diffusion panels. There's a lot of good info about this here.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 13, 2017 at 12:31:46 am

Hello Mark and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I'm in Baltimore. I've been in the Pratt St. Building. I did audio for the BGE, Excelon, Constellation, get together some years back.

If you'd like to talk about this, I'll be here friday for a while, then available tuesday. I won't do the work, but I can help you figure the space out.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Jan 13, 2017 at 1:06:44 am
Last Edited By Bruce Watson on Jan 13, 2017 at 1:08:01 am

[Mark DAgostino] "Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD"

You're in Baltimore? You're in serious luck. Talk to Ty Ford. His acoustic and broadcast background is just what you seem to need. And he's local to you.

Edit: Ah, I see Ty has posted. Good enough, I'll get out of the way now. ;-)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 13, 2017 at 3:54:31 pm

Thanks Bruce,

I'll be with Mark next Tuesday to see the space.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]