FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Beller
External Audio
on Jan 5, 2017 at 10:24:51 pm

I have an analog mixer that I have plugged into my IMAC with a single 3.5mm cable. The cable is slit for audio out and audio in. I can hear audio great coming out and going to the mixer which I have speakers from. However, I can not figure out how to get audio in. The only setting for audio is an internal mic.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: External Audio
on Jan 6, 2017 at 1:20:25 am

This isn't really an audio question. It is a Mac OS question. You would likely get much better results asking this question somewhere where they discuss your hardware and operating system. You should also remember to disclose exactly what computer and operating system you are using so that you don't waste time clarifying facts that should have been included in the original question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 6, 2017 at 2:58:58 pm

I think youll need 2 cables 1 FROM the audio mixer TO the mac, and 1 from the mac to mixer.
Additionally, the reason you only have mic input available in mac / system prefs / sound, is that you dont have an interface that the MAC recognises. It wont see an analogue input as a device.
youll need some kind of interface unit. Something like a BEHRINGER UFO202 U-Phono if you want cheap or a Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface if you want to go for quality.

If you just use 2 cables 1 going each way, then you could pad down the desk out by -40db using in line XLR pads and take it into the mac mic input but it wont sound over good.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Neil Beller
on Jan 6, 2017 at 3:27:29 pm

Thank you. I have all the cables but you answered my concern when you noted that it won't recognize an analog signal. I just ordered the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I'll update when it arrives.
Thanks again.
Neil

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 7, 2017 at 12:36:30 pm

Scarlet is good, I have one myself. It will sow up in your mac audio sys prefs as a new device when you connect via usb.
then just configure , levels etc and record
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Neil Beller
on Jan 10, 2017 at 1:23:03 am

It arrived today and hooked right up. I was hearing a low hum, but after some trial and error we're in business. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]