Audio Advice for Event

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Herr
Audio Advice for Event
on Dec 29, 2016 at 7:07:06 pm

Hello All,

Wondering if my strategy is correct for this corporate training vent:

1-2 speakers at a time, most of the time just one each wearing a wireless lav.
One camera angle JVC GY HM170ua with XLR inputs

50 People in audience who will occasionally have a question/comment that needs to be captured.
The audience doesn't want to use a traditional hand held mic, wireless or not, so I need something to capture
the audience sound and was wondering if 2 Tascom DR-40's or similar would do the job.
The Tascoms would record sound to their cards and can't they also send a feed to my camera on the mic input min jack?

There is nothing in their budget to hire an audio person which was my recommendation.
There you have it.
Thanks,
Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio Advice for Event
on Dec 29, 2016 at 11:45:15 pm

Hello Al and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I doubt your audience will feel any warmer about a DR-40 than they would about a hand-held mic. The DR-40 has lot of buttons they could inadvertently push to mess you up.

Find someone (or two) to be mic runners and give them the wireless mics. Have the speaker indicate which person he/she wants to hear from and send the mic runner to them.

You usually have to remind people in the audience the the show is being recorded and that they need to wait until the mic runner gets there rather than just blurt out a question.

If that's you're only solution, were I you, I'd get the speaker to repeat the question so all 50 people could hear it and so the question would be recorded.

Depending on the room design, you could also setup two mics on stands aimed at the audience and record to one DR-40.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Al Herr
on Dec 30, 2016 at 1:55:11 pm

Thanks TY for the welcome.

Misc:
It's a corporate training and I doubt I can get anyone to be a runner. There just won't be enough questions.
I'll be renting audio equip or buying if necessary.
My contact says they can already hear each other fine in the room, the mics are just so it is recorded to go with the video.

I've never used the DR-40 type of mic. Does it need a mic attached to it? I thought it was the mic.
I'm looking for a way to just turn on a recording device and leave it on all day while I record the speakers to the cameras using their lav mics.

I was thinking the DR-40 will record all day. I wasn't planning on letting anyone push a button.
I was thinking 2 of them would cover a tight room of 50 people; either placing them within the crowd on tripods or along the perimeter.

Can't I record the camera what the DR-40's are recording via the mini jack in on the camera since the XLR ports will both be in use with the lavs?

Thanks,
Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 30, 2016 at 3:42:49 pm
Last Edited By Ty Ford on Dec 30, 2016 at 3:44:13 pm

Hi Al,

I've never used the DR-40 type of mic. Does it need a mic attached to it? I thought it was the mic.

> It's a recorder and a mic.

I'm looking for a way to just turn on a recording device and leave it on all day while I record the speakers to the cameras using their lav mics.

> Then you'll probably need a power supply rather than running it on batteries.

I was thinking the DR-40 will record all day. I wasn't planning on letting anyone push a button.

> See above.

I was thinking 2 of them would cover a tight room of 50 people; either placing them within the crowd on tripods or along the perimeter.

> Depends on what your expectations of quality are. 50 people is a lot of people. Some are quiet. Some are loud. Then you'll have to spend time syncing the questions to your video.

Can't I record the camera what the DR-40's are recording via the mini jack in on the camera since the XLR ports will both be in use with the lavs?

> Depending on where the people speaking are and how loud the questions are, the lavs may pick up enough of the questions.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Al Herr
on Dec 30, 2016 at 4:45:12 pm

I new I needed a power supply for them since it was an all day gig.

I've read up on them and realize it's not going to be as good as a handheld mic and they understand that.
And FCX is awesome at syncing footage based on audio waveform.

Thanks TY for confirming things and I think I'm good to go unless someone moves the goal posts.
Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Dec 31, 2016 at 9:55:55 am

re "The audience doesn't want to use a traditional hand held mic, wireless or not"

Why? Since when does an audience spec the tech aspects of a shoot?
Tell them what theyre doing. Youre running the gig.
I understand that they can hear eachother so might think they dont need a mic.
Just explain to them why theyre wrong.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 31, 2016 at 11:49:37 pm

Peter makes a very good point!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 1, 2017 at 2:02:09 am
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Jan 1, 2017 at 2:08:28 am

Trying to record 50 people in an audience with random questions/comments isn't realistic with the limits you have disclosed. Unless you are only going for "transcription-grade" audio. If you really want something usable for viewer-consumption, my BKM (Best Known Method) is to have the MC either repeat the question/comment or remind the presenter to repeat the question/comment. Or if there isn't an MC, then a "room monitor" or "production assistant" or somebody. Explain to the client that it takes a bigger budget to violate the laws of acoustic physics. 😏

Or you could just capture the "best-effort" transcription-grade audience audio and do a voice-over (or sub-title) in post-production editing to enhance the sub-standard audience audio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Al Herr
on Jan 1, 2017 at 4:27:38 pm

I think a big influence for them is that they did it themselves last year and barely got by and this year they are simply going for improvement.

Oddly I had an identical gig earlier in the year; shoebox shaped room, 50 people, one speaker and limited budget. The difference was they sprang for a second camera because they wanted good face angles of people in the audience. We relied totally on the 2 cameras for audio and the wireless lav for the speaker and all was fine as one camera was mid distance from speaker to main cam. The interaction was so fast from person to person that there wouldn't of been time for a handheld mic to be passed around. I think this situation is similar.

Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 1, 2017 at 5:10:06 pm

Yes, this is letting the audience run away with the production. What you have is people who don't realize what it takes to capture audio and video "properly."

If your client is OK with that, fine. If your client want's more intelligibility from the crowd, SOMEONE has to intervene.

Could be your client announces that recording the questions is very important, so please wait til someone gets to you with a mic, or you mic the entire space as you did and forget about it.

I've worked setups in classroom where the teacher or staff doesn't want to "interrupt the flow" or impose the crew on the classroom for fear they will distract the class. If you want to shoot students asking questions, 9/10 of the time you won't have a camera on the person you want, so you have to have them ask the question.....again. This gives time for a boom op to move in and boom the question properly.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Al Herr
on Jan 2, 2017 at 1:46:44 pm

I'll post the results if I get this gig.

Al

alchemyvideo.biz

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 2, 2017 at 9:58:56 pm

If it were me Id walk away.
Id not be interested in doing a job that was guaranteed to be a disaster before it started just because other non qualified people were involved.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]