FORUMS: list search recent posts

New videographer in need of some audio guidance

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Brewer
New videographer in need of some audio guidance
on Nov 25, 2016 at 5:15:48 pm

I have recently come up with a plan to record unknown artists Throughout my state. I REALLY want to give them a good platform to show there stuff on my new YouTube channel. I feel as though I'm obligated to do these artists justice and record for them a great live performance. "Small sessions" is a channel that does something similar to what I want to do. However, I can not for the life of me decipher how they've set up their audio in their videos.

This is my favorite video they've done.

I was hoping someone out there would be able to give me some guidance as to how they could have pulled this off!

I appreciate any guidance or advice on the matter

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: New videographer in need of some audio guidance
on Nov 25, 2016 at 9:08:16 pm

[Justin Brewer] "I was hoping someone out there would be able to give me some guidance as to how they could have pulled this off!"

I think they have: http://smallsessions.com/about.html

That picture shows two handheld cameras and a boomop/mixer for sound. That's what I was thinking when I watched the vid, because it doesn't sound like stereo in my headphones. And that's OK really, the guy and his guitar are pretty much a mono source.

That church is highly reflective; that's natural reverb you're hearing, not post processing. In fact, it doesn't sound like they did much post processing at all -- the singer manages to overload the hall in spots, and they don't bother to correct that much if at all.

As to microphones, I'm betting it's probably just a hyper. I say that because his voice is in the sweet spot, but the guitar is a little out of pattern. What I'd expect from a hyper held a couple of meters back, and half+ a meter as shown in the picture. They might could have done a bit better with a cardioid, say a Sennheiser 8040?

There are some good solid reasons to do something like this in mono, especially vids you expect to play back on mono players like phones/tablets. You get mono compatibility by definition, you simplify the post processing, and you really simplify capture -- you can do it with a boom pole, like you would dialog, like these guys apparently do.

But... stereo sounds better for music. You could, for example, mount a mid-side (MS) stereo pair (for example, a Sennheiser MKH 30 (figure 8 "side" mic) and an MKH 40 or 8040 (cardioid "mid" mic)) on a boom stand. You get flexibility on the mid mic which can be anything from another figure 8, through cardioid, all the way to omni (which would probably work rather well in that church). MS is coincident, so you automatically get good mono compatibility. You can modify MS in post to change the size of the sound stage which you really can't do well with any other stereo technique. And since it's coincident, you can get both mics in a windbasket (Rycote makes some for exactly this purpose) for those exterior shoots. You could even use a boom op and hand hold MS, but I wouldn't; most listeners strongly object to a moving stereo image. So you should really use a mic stand (boom stand) if you're going to do any stereo work.

There are lots of ways to create a stereo image, MS is just one way. Read up if that's what you want.

And a warning. Good audio is going to take at least as much effort on your part as good video (newbies never believe this, and you probably won't either, but you'll learn over time). People viewing your vids will forgive all kinds of video sins, but they will not forgive bad audio. Bad audio will have them heading somewhere else in seconds. Watch your stats, they will tell the tale.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]