FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio and Video have different Timecodes... how to auto sync?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hirum Horkweller
Audio and Video have different Timecodes... how to auto sync?
on Nov 22, 2016 at 3:08:22 am

Hello Gurus,

I just shot with a Dragon and a Zoom, and we slated everything so I can definitely sync all the audio manually, but I am wondering if there's an easier way. The timecode on both devices is off, but since the difference is uniform I'm wondering:

A) Automate the sync in that I can tell Premiere or DaVinci Resolve (both part of my workflow) what the difference in the timecodes is (i.e. the audio timecode will be 2:24:52 later than the video timecode)

B) Modify the timecode in either the video or the audio to match the other

C) Another way?

If anyone knows the answer I would be very grateful. Thanks!

- H

- H

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Audio and Video have different Timecodes... how to auto sync?
on Nov 22, 2016 at 3:34:47 am

It's called an 'offset' it's very common and somewhere in the system you should be able to enter an offset number it might be a +/-

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 22, 2016 at 5:18:30 am

I was involved in Car Rally & other motor sport productions several years ago up to 6 cameras were used all running time code. Time of day in 24hr setting was used and yes there were errors in all the cameras with 'offsets' (but they WILL remain constant)
Its nothing to worry about at all, I find it interesting how much effort people go to these days to get 'exact' time code to all recorders at the same time.... with the use of an offset (which remains constant) is easy to work with.

Time code is just an embedded 'clock' as a reference to the recorded material, If 24hr time is used even a basic digital wrist watch can be used for Data logging.

Return to posts index

Hirum Horkweller
on Nov 28, 2016 at 7:30:17 pm

Awesome thanks for letting me know. I figured there had to be a way.

How do I adjust the offset timecode in either audio or video, so that I can do a timecode sync in Premiere (or Resolve)?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 28, 2016 at 9:44:37 pm

You have to select one signal as a 'standard' and therefore every other signal is adjusted either +/- time from that. (Normally a wide shot or main camera) The 'standard signal' is NEVER adjusted... every thing else is referenced to that signal.
How its actually done in your actual programs I don't know, but it should be in the program somewhere, do a search in the help section for timecode controls.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]