FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I get an AKG P220 when I already have free anytime access to a Rode NTG-3?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phil wang
Should I get an AKG P220 when I already have free anytime access to a Rode NTG-3?
on Oct 25, 2016 at 12:50:11 am

I have free access to a Rode NTG-3 mic which I know is a completely different mic than the AKG p220 but I heard people use it for voiceover work and it is much more expensive so maybe it's just as good or better than the akg p220 even when it is used for studio recording?

Should I still buy the akg p220 $200 (Canadian $) or get something cheaper for messing around with and bring in the NTG-3 for rare instances of production stuff?
Or are they so different that I should get the P220 and use either depending on the situation?
Or would there be a better companion mic for the NTG-3?

**background**
I'm setting up a home recording studio to mess around with, nothing too fancy. I am a new noob at audio production.

Presonus Audiobox 2x2,
electric guitar,
acoustic
piano
HS80 studio monitors.
mic Rode NTG-3

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: Should I get an AKG P220 when I already have free anytime access to a Rode NTG-3?
on Oct 25, 2016 at 12:52:58 pm

[phil wang] "I have free access to a Rode NTG-3 mic which I know is a completely different mic than the AKG p220 but I heard people use it for voiceover work and it is much more expensive so maybe it's just as good or better than the akg p220 even when it is used for studio recording?"

This is like comparing oranges to concrete blocks. The LDC cardioid is designed for studio music uses. The SDC shotgun is designed for dialog capture on a boom pole, mostly exteriors. There's little overlap here.

Yes, you can use a shotgun like this for voiceover. It exhibits a lot of proximity effect, and you can use that to your advantage sometimes. But shotguns are also quite sensitive to early rapid reflections off nearby walls and ceilings, resulting in comb filtering artifacts that you aren't likely going to be able to fix in post. So unless your studio is big, or very very dead, I suggest you rethink your ideas for using a shotgun in the studio.

Return to posts index

phil wang
Re: Should I get an AKG P220 when I already have free anytime access to a Rode NTG-3?
on Oct 25, 2016 at 3:24:41 pm

Okay Thanks, I'll get an LDC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]