FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode Link - DSLR 6D - How to connect headphones?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Tucker
Rode Link - DSLR 6D - How to connect headphones?
on Oct 13, 2016 at 3:15:05 pm

Good Morning,

I have purchased the Rode Link Lavalier microphone. I am able to use it but I am not able to monitor audio while it is in use. It connects to the headphone jack on my 6D but I do not know how I would listen to the audio coming through while it is hooked in. Would a splitter solve this issue or would that interrupt the Rode Link feed into the camera?

Thank you,

Andrew

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Rode Link - DSLR 6D - How to connect headphones?
on Oct 16, 2016 at 10:17:05 pm

It is unfortunate that neither the Rodelink receiver nor your Canon 6D camera have audio monitoring outputs.

Yes, you could use a "Y-splitter" to take the receiver output and send one branch to the camera, and the other to your headphones/earbuds or whatever. Note, however there is a risk of affecting the signal by connecting your headphones across it. The (unidentified) headphones may have a load impedance low enough that it would affect the audio level or possible introduce distortion.

It would be worth getting a "Y-splitter" and trying it because there is a resonable expectation that it would work OK. But most certainly you should experiment with the lash-up BEFORE actually using it for anything important.
1) Insert the "Y-splitter" between the receiver and the camera with nothing else connected and confirm that the performance is the same as with a simple cable.
2) While recording with your camera, plug in the headphones and note if there is any difference (drop) in audio level.
3) Also note whether there are any other artifacts like noise, distortion, etc.
4) Re-calibrate the system for proper audio levels and note if there if a difference in level using the "Y-splitter" and headphones.

Even worse is the problem that there is no audio monitoring option in the camera. That means that you can't actually monitor the audio that you are recording. That uncertainty is one of the reasons that recording "double-system" (on a separate audio recorder) is such a popular option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Andrew Tucker
Re: Rode Link - DSLR 6D - How to connect headphones?
on Oct 17, 2016 at 1:16:34 pm

Richard,

Thank you for your reply. It also has a mini USB slot and I am wondering if there may be headphones with a mini USB attachment that would work.

I do normally work with the Zoom H4n but wanted a lavalier system so I could get better audio from a distance. Would it be more beneficial to plug the Rodelink into the Zoom? Would that give higher quality audio and just post sync later with a clapboard?

Thank you again for your response!

Andrew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]