FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB microphone not working with Novation AudioHub mixer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
laura meoli
USB microphone not working with Novation AudioHub mixer
on Sep 18, 2016 at 2:44:31 am

Hi,

I'm going to teach a podcasting class for kids and having some technical issues getting the equipment in order. I really appreciate if anyone can help.

We purchased this "mixer"
https://www.amazon.com/Novation-Audiohub-2x4-Combined-Interface/dp/B000Y02I...

and 3 of these mics
https://www.amazon.com/CAD-Audio-U4f-Professional-Microphone/dp/B01HQGXBNI/...

When I plug in a mic into the front USB, there's NO sound being heard through either Audacity or Audition. I have tried this both on my MBP running OSX10.9.5 and the imac at the school running 10.6

In the answers on Amazon for this item it has conflicting information- some saying the usb is only a hub for connecting devices like a mouse, keyboard... and others saying they've connected usb mics with no problem at all.
I'm completely confused and not sure what I'm doing wrong. I do not have a mic with a different (non USB) input to test on this. So I'm not sure if the thing is just broken. The class is this thursday.

Please help.

thank you and have a great night.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: USB microphone not working with Novation AudioHub mixer
on Sep 18, 2016 at 8:13:09 pm

Hello Laura and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

USB audio devices are not considered "professional" so not many here may have had much experience with them.

I have several thoughts.

1. Sometimes the USB device requires power from the computer that may not be available at a hub. Plug directly into the MBP.

2. Audacity requires that you choose what input it will receive. That may be in the Audacity preference panel or on the Audacity interface itself. (and I'm sure in its instructions).

3. After plugging the mic in, also visit the Mac Sound System Preferences panel and choose the USB mic for input.

4. If this works, try inserting the hub in the chain if you need it.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

laura meoli
on Sep 18, 2016 at 11:53:36 pm

Thank you for the detailed response Ty. Yes I see the these devices don't have much support online or anyone who is readily available to help. (not even customer service for the hub/mixer).

I do appreciate your help. The hub has a power supply and the instructions say that it CAN power any USB devices plugged in. So I am not sure why the mics would not be one of those devices.

I'm trying to figure out a workaround right now, maybe to bypass the hub all together. I have three USB mics, and there are 3 usb inputs on the computer so I could conceivably plug them in directly. But now my question is... How do you tell Audacity to record from 3 microphones? I have not been able to do this. The preferences give only 1 selection.

Is there another audio recording software/application that can record three USB mics? I'm even willing to cut down to 2 mics if that's all we can do for now.

Thanks again Ty. Have a great night.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 19, 2016 at 2:48:41 am

Hi Laura,

You're operating on the fringes, so there won't be much help. I have recorded two USB sources into Garage Band; mic and guitar. Each went into a separate USB jack. Garage band saw them both. That's about all I know.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 19, 2016 at 3:39:19 am

That "Novation Audiohub 2x4 Combined Audio Interface and USB 2.0 Hub" is not an audio mixer in any sense of the word.
There are no audio mixers that will mix multiple USB audio inputs that I have ever seen or even heard of.

People who use USB microphones are typically using only one microphone and most (all?) software applications will recognize only one USB audio source at a time. Now the USB source may be multi-channel (typically 2-channel stereo).

The reason there are no "USB mixers" is because there are almost no "use cases" of people needing to mix multiple USB audio sources.

Your USB microphones will be useful for applications where you need only one microphone (perhaps a solo podcast or recording voice tracks, etc.) If you need to mix multiple microphones, there are a myriad of selections of conventional XLR microphones and XLR mixers. Many of the XLR mixers have a USB sound interface built in so that the result of the XLR mixer can be plugged directly into your computer for streaming, recording, communication, or whatever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

laura meoli
on Sep 21, 2016 at 3:33:34 pm

Thank you for your help everyone. I did get Novation customer support on the phone and they confirmed that indeed the audiohub is NOT a mixer- and it does NOT take ANY microphones. All the inputs are for line level and by the time I convert the signal, for that price I might as well just buy a real mixer.

Their product description is VERY vague and the reason for the confusion, hopefully others won't make the same mistake. But that's the good thing about Amazon-- RETURN!
=]

Have a great day!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:45:02 pm

Hi Laura,

Thank you so much for adding to the Creative Cow Brain Trust!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]