FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit a really bad conversation recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sue Howard
Edit a really bad conversation recording
on Sep 15, 2016 at 1:39:18 pm

Hello
I need help with a conversation recording that has alot of background noise and humming to get the dialogue in the back. Can anyone help or recommend a very good, easy to use software.
Thanks,

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Edit a really bad conversation recording
on Sep 15, 2016 at 4:21:35 pm

Hello Sue and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Can you post a bit of this audio somewhere with a link so we can hear it?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Sep 15, 2016 at 6:52:20 pm

Yeah, a sample would be good. There are some nice noise reduction fx that you can apply, provided there's enough tone to collect a good noise signature AND the voices aren't too too buried.

Return to posts index

Sue Howard
on Sep 16, 2016 at 3:06:42 pm

Dear Ty,
I uploaded an extract of the recording.
Thanks,

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 16, 2016 at 3:10:26 pm

Sorry, Sue,

Not seeing it.

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Sue Howard
on Sep 16, 2016 at 3:33:36 pm

I uploaded it againg, dont know for sure if I am doing it right, please advise

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Sep 15, 2016 at 7:15:49 pm

[Sue Howard] "I need help with a conversation recording that has alot of background noise and humming to get the dialogue in the back. Can anyone help or recommend a very good, easy to use software."

As others have said, we'd need to hear a sample to have any idea what to recommend.

That said, this is sort of like saying you put too much salt in your cake, and want to know how to take some of it out now that the cake has been baked. Very difficult, easy way is to bake another cake with the correct levels of ingredients. IOW, restage and rerecord with the proper mic in the proper position this time. If there's any way for you to have such a do-over, that's what you should pursue because that's what will get you the best results. Really.

As for recovery / repair of what you have, about the best you can hope for is to increase the signal to noise ratio (dialog to background) a bit, and roll off the top and bottom end that's not in the voice frequencies. It's likely not going to sound stellar, but may be just good enough to use. IOW, don't get your hopes up. You can't generally just drop the background noise out completely, because that background noise almost always overlaps the frequencies used by your dialog. Much depends on the nature of that background noise, which is why the requests for you to post a sample.

Return to posts index

Sue Howard
on Sep 15, 2016 at 8:48:52 pm

Thank you all for your responses! Where should I post it? I have no idea how to do this so please bear with me.

Return to posts index

Sue Howard
on Sep 16, 2016 at 3:42:17 pm

Extract of the recording

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Sep 16, 2016 at 6:03:30 pm

Still not seeing a link anywhere. I'm eager to hear this!!

Return to posts index

Sue Howard
on Sep 16, 2016 at 6:20:46 pm

https://files.creativecow.net/mp3-files

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Sep 16, 2016 at 6:41:27 pm

Is this the correct file? All I'm hearing is a lot of traffic noise, a car door beeping from an open door, and some audio from a radio. Where's the conversation?

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Sep 18, 2016 at 3:07:51 pm

[Sue Howard] "https://files.creativecow.net/mp3-files"

I downloaded and listened. Very little voice content and what there is sounds highly distorted. I wouldn't be able to extract anything usable from this. I doubt it's salvageable. Sorry.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 19, 2016 at 3:53:52 am

Sorry. Are you sure you posted the correct sound clip? If you hadn't claimed that it was a recording of a conversation, I would never have imagined that it was anything of the sort. Every once in a while I think I can hear a few phrases of something that sounds like human speech. But if you hadn't warned us, I would have dismissed it as just more random noise.

If this were important to international terrorist activity, the NSA may be able to pull something intelligible out of it with several hours work on their supercomputer farms. But for the first time ever online, I have to say that there is zero chance of pulling anything even forensic-grade intelligible from this recording, much less something fit for a production.

It sounds like it was a horrible failure of trying to record dialog with a stereo (or M/S?) microphone where the dialog was completely cancelled out and only the noise remains. We sometimes hear that kind of effect when people plug a monaural microphone into a stereo mic input and end up recording the proper signal on the left channel, and opposite-polarity audio on the right channel. Then whey it is played back in monaural (with L+R), the signal almost completely cancels itself.

If you care to discuss exactly HOW this recording was made (conditions, gear, technique, cabling, etc.) we could probably help you avoid this problem in the future. But I feel pretty confident that even audio recovery software that costs more than your car couldn't save this recording.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Sep 19, 2016 at 4:02:55 am

Note that posting a compressed clip (MP3) doesn't do your case any good. It might be possible there is something salvageable there, but the stereo MP3 compression algorithm has completely destroyed any hope of recovery. If you want detailed analysis of your sample, you must post an uncompressed (WAV, AIFF, etc.) sample. If the recording was made in a compressed format (like MP3) then you are probably out of luck. It is NEVER a good idea to record audio using a compressed method. We always record raw audio data (WAV, AIFF, etc.) for production and NEVER compress it until after the final mix when we need to distribute the product online, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Sue Howard
on Sep 19, 2016 at 2:29:17 pm

Dear all,

Apologies for any inconveniences caused, I am obviously not a techie.

This recording I got it from one of those hidden mic that I put on my husband to find out if he is being unfaithful.

Sorry if I made you all waste your time,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]