FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on new recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Campbell
Advice on new recorder
on Sep 14, 2016 at 2:08:40 pm

Greetings! It's time for me to step up and purchase an audio recorder, and I'd like to get some opinions from the herd about reliable units under $300. I was considering the Tascam DR-60 until I just read a nightmare thread on this page about the DR-40, and now I'm Tascam-nervous.

I'd love some opinions from you guys, thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Advice on new recorder
on Sep 15, 2016 at 6:24:35 am

Hello Paul and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What will you be trying to record?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Sep 15, 2016 at 11:58:24 am

Hello, Ty. I'm doing field recording for video, on-location, interviews, etc. Since my post, I've done some reading and ended up purchasing a Tascam DR-60D (despite being "Tascam-nervous). It seems like a good unit from all that I've seen, so hopefully I've made a good choice. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Sep 15, 2016 at 1:30:35 pm

I own the DR 60 myself and think it's a good choice for that price range. It goes through batteries a bit more than the zoom does, but it has a bit better sound quality in my ear then zoom. I would probably have recommended it to you, along with the zoom H5.

Al

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 15, 2016 at 4:18:13 pm

Hi Paul,

You know, you can use your video camera to record audio........

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Sep 15, 2016 at 6:50:29 pm

Oh yes Ty, for sure. In the past I've sent audio directly into the camera, but I've read that the audio processors on DSLR's aren't exactly topnotch, or at least not as good as can be achieved with a nice recorder. I also like the idea of an external device that I can control independently and more granularly, rather than simply setting the level on the camera. All of that said, I'll most likely send the output of my brand spankin' new Tascam to the camera anyway as a backup just in case!

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Oct 5, 2016 at 6:47:12 am

I use the DR-05
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004OU2IQG

It works great. However I use only the 3.5mm input, not the mikes. Also, it doesn't have a proper Line input (despite claims) - it is just a single level input and you have to play with the attenuator to make it work right.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]