FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio in the field

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandy Leonardo
Audio in the field
on Aug 23, 2016 at 2:02:18 pm

Hi all, I just landed a gig and could really use some help with my gear. I’m going to be following an entrepreneur around with my camera shooting footage of him that we are making into quick 30 second social media videos. He will be on stage talking and then shooting him off stage coaching people....and also getting b-roll of him working, walking, talking to people, etc.

I worked an event with him already...when he was on stage, I had him wear a lav mic connected to the H1 Zoom recorder. While I had some great audio, some of it was completely lost where it recorded for up to 2 hours but there was no audio…I think he may have pulled the mic out a bit but still don’t understand why the recorder wouldn’t have picked up anything. Any thoughts on if this is still the best set up or if you have other ideas? I’m hesitant about wireless because of interference when we are at an event.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Audio in the field
on Aug 23, 2016 at 5:11:14 pm

Recording audio (whether remotely or even locally) without monitoring is always a huge risk. Especially when recording things in the Real World where there is zero chance of "Take Two". See my signature line below.

Depending on your budget, there are wireless microphone kits with built-in recorder in the transmitter end. Zaxcom has a monopoly on this scheme in the US and it a rather expensive solution. There is also a product that plugs between the microphone and the wireless transformer which does local recording in case of failure of the wireless link.

Perhaps the most cost-effective solution would be to have a second, backup recorder on the subject. The simple utility kind with a built-in microphone. For example: SONY ICD PX333 Digital Voice Recorder, and at least a dozen nearly-equivalent options.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Aug 25, 2016 at 3:16:42 pm

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 23, 2016 at 10:10:03 pm

Hello Mandy and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What Richard says is true, but I think in this case your best investment would be a qualified sound person.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Aug 25, 2016 at 3:17:09 pm

Thanks. Having another person with me is not an option at this point.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 26, 2016 at 12:22:52 am

What sort of 'gear' are you using (as you mentioned) If you are using a H1 as a recorder I assume you are using a DSLR or similar as a camera.....
For one person shooting a DSLR + separate audio recorder is the VERY hard way of doing things,..... OK lots of people are doing but that doesn't make it any easier..... Just ask yourself why don't TV news crews do it that way?
If you were using a VIDEO camera and a wireless mic system what your wanting to do is actually quite easy to do, even to monitor the audio as well (which needs to be done)

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 26, 2016 at 1:39:54 am

Here is one possible solution...
http://juicedlink.com/collections/audio-recorders

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Aug 26, 2016 at 2:29:36 pm

Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]