FORUMS: list search recent posts

sennheiser Ew100 digital distortion/'processing' sound

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Code
sennheiser Ew100 digital distortion/'processing' sound
on Aug 23, 2016 at 1:16:38 am

Hello..

I'm a videographer who uses sennheiser's wireless ew100 transmitter and receiver with a lapel mic (it's the g3 series)

Recently I have noticed a distortion sound - well really it is more like a 'chugging' noise of a small processor. It seems it is the interior of one of the devices making the noise. I think it is the actual mechanics of the device (as opposed to radio interference) becaue the noise happens when you change the settings, too. For example, you get a burst or a click of it when you select a new setting. It is more discernible on some lapel mics than others, but it is always there softly. I have tried changing frequencies and squelch. I have added the file here 10464_mictest.m4a.zip

Has anyone experienced this - or have any tips? Is it the norm and I have never noticed?

A journalist pretending to be a video producer.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: sennheiser Ew100 digital distortion/'processing' sound
on Aug 23, 2016 at 3:52:52 pm

I heard only ambient noise in your sample. Remember that the default mic head that comes with the wireless kit is not noted for its exemplary performance. Most people who are serious about audio replace it with a better-performing microphone.

Remember also that many microphones are sensitive to RF interference from their own transmitter. So I would recommend keeping the mic head AWAY from the transmitter (an especially the transmitter's antenna) at least 50cm, and the more the better.

Also, epecially with digitally-controlled (or transmitted) audio gear, it is not uncommon to hear "zipper noise" from the action of the digital circuits when CHANGING settings. In more modern digital gear, they have eliminated that problem, but it is still present in many older analog designs with some digital controls. Of course, this should not be a a problem as you are not changing settings during actual recording.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]