FORUMS: list search recent posts

RX into iPhone vs into DAR

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Veitch
RX into iPhone vs into DAR
on Aug 22, 2016 at 4:25:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've gone ahead and bought a rodelink ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TV90DX0/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471882914&s... ) which I'm super happy with.

I'm using an iPhone to film with and connecting the rodelink RX directly into the iPhone jack (via a trrrs connector that Rode sells) so that the audio is already synced to the track.

I'm wondering whether the iPhone records the best audio there is. I.e whether I would get better audio connecting to a specific audio recorder (a tascam or somesuch.) I don't see why the audio would be any different when recorded to the iPhone (the iPhone, after all, being a far superior computer than a Tascam) but I could be wrong.

All best,
James.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: RX into iPhone vs into DAR
on Aug 23, 2016 at 3:44:03 pm

Define "better"? Would you get "better" image quality from a real camera vs. shooting with your phone? On one level, you are correct, the audio won't be "different". However, for both the audio and the picture, you don't have anywhere near the control over the audio or video in a phone that you would in a proper camera, camcorder or audio recorder.

But perhaps recording audio to your phone is exactly the same trade-off decision as shooting picture with your phone. Having the complete solution in one quite small, ultra-portable device.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]