FORUMS: list search recent posts

Phantom Power Supply

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Phantom Power Supply
on Aug 19, 2016 at 6:22:30 pm

Hey gang...

I'm venturing over from the video forums with an audio question... a realm I'm sadly more ignorant of than I should be...

I believe I am in need of a 48v phantom power supply, and thought it best to ask for recommendations (or things to watch out for, etc.)...

Just some Googling and other searching yields tons of them, but the vast vast majority of them are AC powered (well, DC via an AC wall adapter). I need one that runs on batteries for field use. I've seen a couple that run on two 9-volt batteries, but they are fairly scarce.

We're needing to use our usual Sennheiser MKH416 on location... which is usually no issue since it is powered either by a camera (Canon C300) or a recorder (usually Zoom H4n). However in this case, for a variety of reasons I need to go very minimal and feed the mic directly into a DJI Osmo stabilizer (with Zenmuse X5 camera). I could still use the Zoom, but ideally a smaller, less clunky, more simplistic setup would be best.

Any ideas or specific recommendations?

Thanks much!....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Phantom Power Supply
on Aug 19, 2016 at 9:05:55 pm

Have you looked at the Denecke Dcode gadgets?

http://www.denecke.com/Support/Documents/Power%20Supplies_2013.pdf

Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 19, 2016 at 9:33:28 pm

[Richard Crowley] "Have you looked at the Denecke Dcode gadgets?"

Not specifically, totally a fish out of water here which is why I was asking for advice :) I'll definitely give them a look.

[Richard Crowley] "Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder."

Hmm well not exactly. But I wasn't planning on not monitoring. I can meter and monitor at the camera end, and the boom op can monitor what the mic is getting as well. Not the ideal setup without a separate sound guy, but under these fairly special and very minimalist circumstances it works. And actually... I do focus without looking at the viewfinder all the time (the old-fashioned "Hollywood" way, which is why cine cameras still have tape-measure hooks).

Will check out the Deneckes... thanks!...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 20, 2016 at 3:14:49 pm

There is a battery powered 48v phantom unit from PSC or Professional Sound Corporation the works very well on two 9v batteries.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]