FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scratchy Static Wireless Microphone Problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannah Jay
Scratchy Static Wireless Microphone Problem
on Aug 16, 2016 at 9:03:15 pm

I purchased two wireless microphones because my client requested them for our videos. Both of these microphones, whether used together or separately, exhibit lots of static noise which makes the audio sound super annoying. It is worse in certain spots, like around lighting and appliances (videos are about kitchens).

The model of both microphones is AZDEN WLX-PRO L/T WIRELESS MIC SYSTEM. They are VHF and use a 3.5mm stereo mini jack. Not the most expensive brand, but still were $150 apeice. Is there any remedy to this? Switching between the two frequencies rarely if ever helps.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Scratchy Static Wireless Microphone Problem
on Aug 17, 2016 at 8:03:04 am

There are 3 components to a wireless system, the microphone, the transmitter & the receiver. Assuming you're not talking about the microphones causing the scratching sound, it would seem to be an interference or RF issue on the VHF band you're on. Not much you can do about that other than try a new location and see if the issue follows where ever you go.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 17, 2016 at 10:33:38 am

There are several different sources of noise that could be called "static noise". It is impossible to even identify what kind of noise without listening to a sample audio clip.

Note that you purchased the very bottom of the barrel equipment. A halfway-decent wireless mic kit starts at prices 3x to 4x what you paid. and professional models easily go up to 20x what you paid. And Azden has rather a poor reputation as a cheap low-cost, low-performance brand.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 17, 2016 at 1:47:56 pm

Hi
post a sample so we can hear the problem.
But for £115 dont expect too much.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Aug 17, 2016 at 4:26:54 pm

VHF especially would be prone to EM interference.

Return to posts index

Hannah Jay
on Aug 17, 2016 at 7:23:22 pm

This is a sample of the audio when we were taking a break and mic was still on.

10426_scratchysample.mp3.zip

Does this help? Would UHF make a big difference over VHF?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 18, 2016 at 12:27:31 am

That buzzing sound is caused by something sending out a signal that's being picked up by your receiver. No telling where it's coming from.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 18, 2016 at 2:41:09 am

Did you post the correct clip? I don't hear anything I would call "scratchy".

What I DO hear is rather high ambient noise.
That is quite independent of whether you are using a wired or a wireless mic, and what kind of wireless mic.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 18, 2016 at 4:34:40 am

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE EDIT AN DELETE FUNCTIONS AROUND HERE?
Since I can't edit or delete the previous posting, please replace it with this...

I don't hear any distortion, clipping, or even microphone rubbing, etc. Anything that could be described as "scratchy". I am wondering if we are hearing the right clip?

The two major problems with this sound recording are:

1) Poor signal-to-noise ratio. By noise, I specifically mean HUM. I cannot tell from listening whether this is electromagnetically induced into your gear somehow from a nearby magnetic field (like a lamp ballast, etc.) Or whether the hum is ACOUSTIC being picked up through the air (like from an exhaust fan or something?) The easy way to differentiate whether it is induced or acoustic is to simply do some critical listening with your ears. Do you hear that same hum with your ears in the open air? Or can you hear the hum only through your monitor headphones.

2) Less than optimal speech pickup from microphone position too far away or "shaded" or aimed in the wrong direction, etc. etc. There could be several causes for this and only experimenting with the mic placement and listening through your good monitor headphones will identify the issue.

The default microphone heads that come even with expensive wireless kits are not known for their high performance. And the default microphone that comes with a $150 wireless microphone kit can't be expected to offer even "average" quality. You get what you pay for. How do similar shots with your wired microphones sound by comparison? If you like your wired mics, can you use them with the wireless transmitter?

Twice now I have mentioned having GOOD monitor headphones while recording. A good pair of over-the-ear headphones is MANDATORY whenever you are recording audio. Please see my signature line if there is any confusion here.

Recording audio without metering and monitoring is exactly like framing and focusing without looking at the viewfinder.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 18, 2016 at 4:10:51 pm

Hi Richard.
I am please to see someone else bang on as I have done so mant times before on this forum (youve probably seen) about the importance of wearing headphones and adequate monitoring. I dont understand why this is such a problem for people.

Re the audio.
I think the noise the OP refers to is less scratchy in tone to fluttering. It sounds like the RF envlope is being pushed over by something. I suggest
1)Poor antenna placement,
2) mobile phones,
3) anothe radio mic on a similar frequency,
4) some other device on similar freqs

But yes the s/n is poor .
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]