FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to transmit more than 1 lav mics to a single reciever

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Kiloren
How to transmit more than 1 lav mics to a single reciever
on Jul 13, 2016 at 12:30:21 am

So I am a newbie here and looking for advice on my Azden Pro-XD lav mic set I just bought. Is it possible to buy more lav mics and transmitters to sync with one receiver that is mounted on my camera?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: How to transmit more than 1 lav mics to a single reciever
on Jul 13, 2016 at 5:12:55 am

Most radio mic systems will allow one transmitter and many receive units as you like (just like your local radio or TV station) ...... BUT systems will not work by using multiple transmitter units into just one receiver, It just won't work.

Radio mic systems that use the 2.4ghz frequency range have only just come onto the market recently and probably just below 'pro' level so a lot of critical trials probably haven't been done. With other 2.4g units there is a lot of data going back and forth so it may not work for what you are trying to do.

'Celebrating 40 years of Broadcasting Audio....
Started with Magnetic stripe and Sprocket holes to now Gigabytes and Touch Screen Mixing Consoles'......

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jul 13, 2016 at 6:52:37 am

No, No, and Yes.

No, a digital system like Azden PRO-XD (or any of the 2.4GHz wireless mic kits) are strictly paired one transmitter to one receiver. There is no provision in the protocol for the receiver to handle more than one transmitter per customer.

No. Even a conventional analog wireless kit will receive only one transmitter per receiver. If you attempt to use two transmitters on the same channel you will get a myriad of interference patterns that will render BOTH mic signals unusable.

Yes. There are SOME wireless kits (like Azden 300 series) which have TWO receivers built into the same box. They can handle two transmitters independently.

Return to posts index

Pat Kiloren
on Jul 13, 2016 at 3:19:04 pm

Ah gotcha, thanks so much!!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 14, 2016 at 5:56:34 pm

Hello Pat and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Richard is correct. Audio Technica and other wireless manufacturers now make wireless gear with two receivers in one body.

They would cost multiples of what you paid for the Azden.

The key for you however, seems to be that the receiver is mounted on your camera. I'm not sure any of the above would do that.

Maybe it's time to spread your wings and take everything up a notch. We get a lot of ascending operators here who are growing their businesses. At some point, you need to find a couple of good people to work with to safely grow your business. Finding the right person with audio skills and some video experience can be a nice match.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 14, 2016 at 9:30:16 pm

Does your camera only have one mike input? Most cams with XLR inputs have at least 2. another option would be to add a mixer to your arsenal. Pro Audio gear tends to last a long time and makes for worthwhile investments. Wired lavs are way cheaper and even better quality than wireless kits, particularly inexpensive wireless kits.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]