FORUMS: list search recent posts

H4N Zoom missing files and wrong file names

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Brown
H4N Zoom missing files and wrong file names
on Jul 5, 2016 at 3:58:25 pm

I got the H4n Zoom recently, and I used it on a short I made. After we had done all the shooting and such, I opened up the files and they were all numbered wrong, and I had to sort through and find each one. One would file #26 and the one that was supposed to be #27 was actually #48. And even with the pain of having to go through and sort, some files were just completely gone. Anybody know why this is happening and/or how I could fix it?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: H4N Zoom missing files and wrong file names
on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:57:13 pm

Hello John and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Hard to say, but did you format the SD card when you began the project?

Maybe old data on the card changed the order?

I'd reach out to Zoom if you're in N. America.

ZOOM NORTH AMERICA
2120 Smithtown Avenue
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779 USA
Tel: (1) 631-542-5270 Fax: (1) 631-542-5271
http://www.zoom-na.com
E-mail: info@zoom-na.com

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

John Brown
on Jul 6, 2016 at 12:12:23 am

Thank you, I'll try formatting the card. Do I need to format it after every new project?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 6, 2016 at 1:56:25 am

John,

Different systems behave differently, but my pure guess, in this situation, is yes.

Remove any files you feel the need to keep and put them safely somewhere else, then reformat the drive for the new job, or use different SD cards and put a new one in and format it for the new job.

Please get back to us here to see if that solved your problem.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jul 6, 2016 at 10:00:11 am

With the price of SD cards these days EVERY new job gets a NEW card.... 4 or 8 Gig cards are a good size, put in the recorder and format, after you get the material from them put them in storage and HOLD on to them for your atmos library.
The cost of the card / batteries should be absorbed as 'consumables' in any production.

A final word NEVER give the cards to the client, just like a photographer will never release the picture negatives / master files.

Return to posts index

Allen Cavedo
on Jul 9, 2016 at 6:02:45 pm

Yes. I had a H4n for a few years. Always formatted the SD card before every new job (and set the clock). Never had any file problems. I sold it last year and replaced it with a TASCAM DR-100 mkII.

Return to posts index

Curt Needs
on Jul 21, 2016 at 9:02:05 pm

Same thing has been happening to me. This week we've had two shoots. I reformatted the cards when I put them in the Zooms, and then recorded as normal. I watched the file number counting up in numerical order as we recorded. And then when I transferred them to my project files on the computer, the actual audio in each file does not correspond to the order in which we recorded them. Like the file labeled ...-017.wav should actually be ...-028.wav.

This is going to make sorting take almost as long as editing these videos!

I would love to hear if anyone figures out why this happens.

Return to posts index

John Brown
on Jul 22, 2016 at 11:09:27 pm

So I haven't figured out a fix yet, but I found the source. When you do a test, but then cancel it before you record, the next time to start up the recording, it skips the last number. Then at some point it fills in the blanks. Thad as far as I've gotten fam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]