FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio-Technica AT8024 vs. Rode VideoMic Pro with HDSLR

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Audio-Technica AT8024 vs. Rode VideoMic Pro with HDSLR
on Jun 29, 2016 at 1:33:37 am

I'm looking to buy either the AT8024 or VideoMic Pro and I was confused about the audio settings on the Audio-Technica. You can set the dB to 0, -10, and -20, but the Rode has a +20 dB audio boost. I have a Canon T3i, so I need to lower the audio level quite a bit since the built-in speakers aren't that great. And the Rode's +20 dB setting seems very nice to get better sounding audio.

The Audio-Technica doesn't have the +20 dB setting, so does this mean I'd have to crank up the volume on my camera? Thanks for any info!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Audio-Technica AT8024 vs. Rode VideoMic Pro with HDSLR
on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:03:21 am

The mics are VERY different, the Audio Technica is a stereo microphone (that can be switched to mono) and the Rode is a mono microphone only.

ANY microphone on top of ANY camera will deliver rather poor audio, yes you can use it as an Fx track but totally useless for spoken word as the mic is way to far away to deliver decent audio.
The reason why camera top mics are poor is will pick up even the slightest hand / finger movements on the lens etc.

Recording on a DSLR might deliver good pictures but the audio recording circuitry is normally very poor, after all it is actually a 'stills' camera (yes it might record video but it is a 'stills' camera and has limitations)

What are you actually wanting the microphone to record, what sort of stuff are you shooting?

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jun 29, 2016 at 7:40:55 am

I'm just shooting silly videos for youtube. I don't necessarily need professional quality. I've been using a Zoom H4n mounted on the camera and the audio sounded fine to me. Most of my videos will have dialogue and the camera will be close to the subjects. I just wanted to also get a microphone to use too. And I was wondering if the Rode mic's +20 dB feature would make it a better choice than the Audio-Technica. Or is it possible that the 0 dB level on the Audio-Technica is loud enough to let me lower the camera's built-in audio quite a bit?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jun 29, 2016 at 7:57:09 am

If I can recall the +20 setting was get a hotter signal to get over the poor noise floor of DSLR cameras.
It comes down to a personal decision, if 50% of your work has speaking in it perhaps go the Rode if it was less than that I would go with the Audio Technica.
If you are going to continue to use the Zoom recorder then use that for dialogue and the camera mic just for Fx.
Remember with both the DSLR and Zoom H4n have less than brilliant noise floors, but should be Ok for youtube clips.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 29, 2016 at 3:41:29 pm

If you get the Rode (which I own) I would suggest paying the extra money for the Lyre shock mount. The standard Rode rubber band mount is terrible.

The AT seems like a much better designed mount, and the reviews on B&H are very positive. I own other AT mics, as well as Sennheiser, and I consider the AT line a solid workhorse product. My larger shotgun mic has never failed to produce quality sound. In fact, given the bad mounting brackets on the standard Rode, and the strong positive reviews, I'm likely t o pick up one of these small ATs myself. Just to be done with constantly adjusting the rubber bands would be a relief!

And yes, the quality is poor, compared to close mic'ing, but when you are just shooting standard run and gun or documenting some event, likely either will be fine.

Al

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jun 29, 2016 at 9:43:40 pm

Al, do you have a DSLR? And if so, when you use your Rode with it how low are you able to set the camera's built-in audio and still have the sound loud enough? And do you find it necessary to use the +20 dB boost?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 29, 2016 at 10:09:31 pm

Bobby, yes, I have both a GH4 and 5D mkiii. I don't know how to answer the second question. I don't try to set it low, I set it so that the peaks are not going beyond the marker for the -12dB range. (it might be -10, not sure anymore). No peaks anywhere near the 0dB mark. No red, ever.

Yes, I do find I need the +20dB boost in the unit on many occasions. But it's all dependent on recording conditions. There is no 'right' way to know.

Al

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jun 29, 2016 at 10:45:30 pm

Right now I've been using a Zoom H4n with my DSLR and in order to get good sound I have to lower the camera's built-in audio to almost the lowest possible setting since DSLRs don't record audio well, and increase the recording level of the Zoom. This gives pretty good quality.

Since I'd like to get a mic too, I was thinking of the Rode's +20dB boost as being similar to increasing the volume on the Zoom. So that i could lower the camera's audio significantly and rely on the increased recording volume of the Rode, since it records sound better.

I was just wondering if the Audio-Technica's recording level was loud enough so that I'd be able to lower the camera's audio.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 29, 2016 at 10:55:45 pm

Bobbie, I do believe that the Zoom H4n does not have a true line out function, and you have to 'pad' the zoom output to avoid overdriving the camera audio. That's probably why you are experiencing a 'too loud' condition on the camera. I used to own a Zoom H4n, and unless I'm thinking of it's previous model, it was not a good fit for in camera audio feed. Mine broke after a year and I gladly replaced it with a better model, the H5 which has a true line out and phono jack. Get the right tool for the job.

Anyway, the way I usually do it is to turn on the Rode, and simply watch the levels and adjust in camera. Since the Rode isn't recording you only have to care about the camera levels, and they will tell you if you need to reduce down from the +20 to 0 or not.

I would buy the AT and see if that works for you, if not, return it within 30 days and buy the Rode. Again, if you are set on the Rode, then buy the one with the better shock mounts.

Al

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jun 30, 2016 at 12:23:24 am

I'm not experiencing a "too loud" condition on the camera. The reason I turn it way down, just a few clicks away from the off position, is because DSLRs don't record sound well by themselves. You can even hear the motor sometimes. So I turn it all the way down, and to compensate for that, I boost up the recording level on the Zoom. When I do that, I can monitor the levels on my camera because I have the Zoom plugged into my camera. I know people say don't record audio directly into the camera, but I'm just making videos for youtube and it sounds fine for what I'm doing.

But I also want to get a mic to use instead of the Zoom sometimes. And I don't know if it works similarly to the Zoom, where it's better to turn the camera's audio almost all the way down, and then boost up the levels on the mic, if possible. Since the Rode has a +20dB boost, I thought that would produce similar results as the Zoom.

But if I use the Audio-Technica, will it sound good if I turn my camera's audio down a lot? Does the mic record at its own default volume? It has -20, -10, and 0. So I was wondering if I set it to 0 and lower my camera's audio a lot, will it still be loud enough? I don't want to have to turn my camera's audio up too much.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 30, 2016 at 3:15:59 am

since I don't know the audiotechnica myself you probably should just go buy the Rode for what you're looking to do.

your assumptions about what the cameras can and can't do are just that, assumptions. It's been my experience that my Canon 5d mkiii and my Panasonic gh4 can record sound just fine, without having to turn the volume down to almost 0 . i've given you some examples to listen to, and as I stated, my Canon 5D audio won approval of audio experts in the past on this forum.

I have never heard the "motor" on my 5D, yet I have heard it on my much more expensive professional C 100. perhaps you have autofocus turned on on your camera, which most professional shooters do not turn on .

rather than try and convince you that what you're doing may not be the best way of getting good sound, I say you should just continue to do what you were doing and buy the Rode and you'll probably be just fine . i've long ago stopped trying to debate people who seem to have come to conclusions that may not be technically right but work for them .

all the best.

Al

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jun 30, 2016 at 8:08:15 am

Thanks for the Advice Al. I might be thinking about this the wrong way. When I first got my Zoom, I watched some tutorials about using it with a Canon T3i (the camera that I have), and most people were saying to turn the audio way down on the camera and up on the Zoom, and you'll get better quality. Maybe this is different from how a mic works. Or maybe the obsession with turning the camera's audio way down is unwarranted. I'm still debating whether to get the Rode or the Audio-Technica because I like that the Audio-Technica has the ability to record in both mono and stereo. I might just get the Rode though, because the +20 dB boost seems very attractive. Thanks again for the advice!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 30, 2016 at 4:03:48 pm

By the way, a problem you might be having with the H4 is the x/y mics are picking up all the sound around the camera. A shotgun will eliminate that problem. So yes, either of those mic choices will work for you.

also.
A review.

Al

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 1, 2016 at 5:06:23 am

That's a good review, but he didn't review the VideoMic Pro, just the standard VideoMic compared with the Audio-Technica. Between those two I'd choose the Audio-Technica, but since the VideoMic Pro has the +20 dB feature, I think I'm going to get that mic. I've been watching some other reviews about using the VideoMic Pro with a DSLR, and most people talk about the hiss you can hear using the camera's internal mic. And to reduce the hiss, you reduce the camera's audio to just 4 or 5 clicks from the lowest setting and then always use the +20dB on the Rode. This sounds like a safe bet for what I'm doing. The AT is attractive because it's smaller, has the option to record in stereo, and takes a double A battery, whereas the Rode takes a 9 volt. But that +20dB is what sells it for me!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jul 1, 2016 at 5:15:44 am

yes, I used to own a 3 Ti and I would agree that your camera has hiss. other cameras like the 5D Mark III do not . The Rode video Mic pro is not without hiss . I own one . I would say that the benefit of this entire thread is that you learned a little bit more about what you really feel you need in a mic . while I was offering an opinion on the alternative without ever having owned it, either one would likely do well with your camera, given your current (mis)use of the zoom. maybe I'll buy the other and do a comparison just so we all know the answer to this in the future . All the best!

Al

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 1, 2016 at 5:40:22 am

I'm not sure what you mean by my misuse of the Zoom. I was explaining the process that I used to record pretty good audio from the Zoom into my T3i. It worked for me, so I don't know how I'm misusing it.

I was just looking to get a mic in addition to having the Zoom, and was asking about two different mics I was interested in.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jul 1, 2016 at 6:00:07 am

what I meant was that you were using an XY microphone when you clearly seem to be wanting and needing a shotgun mic. that's why you were picking up noise on your recordings from the camera. The recommendations I mentioned would be to get the Rode Mic with the Lyre mount. The rubber band mounts are very aggravating to deal with. heck, I'll sell you mine if you want for a cheaper than new price!

all the best

Al

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 1, 2016 at 9:29:35 am

I meant that the noise I was hearing (hiss, motor) was when I just used the internal mics on the camera. With the zoom it sounded fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]