FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tascam 60D Mkll and NTG2 quiet?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Qwerty
Tascam 60D Mkll and NTG2 quiet?
on Jun 20, 2016 at 10:50:41 pm

Hi all,

I have recently got a tascam 60d MKii and a rode ntg2 for use in a short film in the next couple of weeks, I went to check out the locations today (a lot of exterior stuff in tunnels and under bridges) and recorded some test audio to see how it sounded, so I set up, put the tascam on mid gain and plugged my mic and headphones in, everything sounded perfect, all the levels on the screen were hitting between -18 and -12 however when I got home and uploaded the files onto Audition they were very quiet and certainly not hitting -18 like they were on the monitor, does anyone know why this is or has anyone ever encountered this problem?

Also has anyone every used similar equipment in similar situations and can give me tips for the best audio?

Thanks In advance

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Tascam 60D Mkll and NTG2 quiet?
on Jun 21, 2016 at 12:07:15 am

Hello Tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Can you set the meters in Audition to RMS or Peak?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Tom Qwerty
on Jun 21, 2016 at 5:06:53 pm

Hi - Yes I can push the audio to peak in audition but there's a lot of unwanted noise (gain) If I do that Im on Mid gain on the settings of the Tascam.

I tried a different Tascam and a NTG1 today too and was having the same issues, is the metre on the Tascam unreliable?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 29, 2016 at 3:50:46 pm

I think I would have to say, yes, the meters in the Tascam seem unreliable. I have found that they always seem a bit low, so I usually use the feature that allows me to set one channel -6 to -12 db under the other channel. Also, there is a feature to boost the gain on the inputs, so you might try playing around with that. I sat down at my desk, set it up and got both my field mics in front of me, working with the Tascam. I then opened Audition on my laptop and recorded a bunch of talking into the mics from different distances, and then just popped the SD card into the laptop and looked at the waveforms to see which worked best.

Doing this testing up front is the essence of what you would learn in a film school, so just run the tests to get real familiar with your gear. The Tascam is a very good lower end unit, for the price there's a lot to like. I recently sold mine for the DR70-D, which has a lower footprint but also some trade offs in feature sets, like not being able to mix down each channell individually.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]