FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode Mics

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miranda Shar
Rode Mics
on Jun 18, 2016 at 3:20:25 am

Hi

I'm in the market for some equipment to start getting some gear together. I've heard that Rode are relatively good mics for the price. As a person starting in the industry is this the way to go?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Rode Mics
on Jun 18, 2016 at 8:58:13 am

What do you intend to use them for, and at what level you are at.
What Rode mics are you interested in?
What are you recording onto?

If you are referring to shotgun mics for location shooting then the NTG1 or NTG 2 should be regarded as 'hobby' level only and NOT Pro level, the NTG3 (short) and NTG8 (long) shotgun mics are very good Pro level mics.

The Rode stereo mic (NT4) is very good and delivers good results.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 18, 2016 at 1:12:45 pm

Hello Miranda and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Rode, Senneheiser, Audio -Technica makes a spectrum of mics, from student grade to professional.

Sanken and DPA also make professional grade mics for video.

You'll typically want at least two boom mics, a shotgun and a hypercardioid, but I suggest you buy the hypercardioid first, especially if you'll be doing a lot of indoor recording.

Here's a simple tutorial I made a few years back the might help you.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 18, 2016 at 3:47:08 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jun 18, 2016 at 3:48:27 pm

try this. great price. great mike. rock solid. requires phantom power.

mine have stood the test of time and rough handling and many different shoots under many different conditions. Generally good aim and close to the source is way better than not. These are small and easy to keep out of frame and get close.

at the price the best bang for the buck.

Audio-Technica AT4053b Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/642499-REG/Audio_Technica_AT4053B_AT4...

$600 free shipping and no tax unless you live in NY.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Jun 18, 2016 at 6:12:32 pm

[Miranda Shar] "I'm in the market for some equipment to start getting some gear together. I've heard that Rode are relatively good mics for the price. As a person starting in the industry is this the way to go?"

Which industry? The various subsets of sound recording will push you toward equipment that works best for that subset. For example, if you're recording classical and acoustical music in excellent performance halls, you'll find yourself looking more toward omnis and wide cardioids, and interesting stereo techniques (OK, interesting to me anyway). The opposite end of the spectrum might be dialog recording for movies, which will push you toward small lightweight hypercardioid and shotgun mics that work well on a boom pole.

Rode makes mics for a whole range of subsets of sound recording. Their new NTR ribbon mic is gaining good acceptance in classical and jazz recording markets, while their NTG3 shotgun has good acceptance with the indy dialog recordists. Those are just two examples; Rode has a full-ish range of mics.

I'm just sayin' that the equipment you get should match the job you're working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]