FORUMS: list search recent posts

Am i likely to have issues here

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Groom
Am i likely to have issues here
on May 29, 2016 at 10:38:42 am

Hi Guys, Im interested in some comment on "domestic " mics. (I generally dont do much other than Neumanns!!)

I have been buying a DJI OSMO stabilised camera.
The pictures are brill but audio is very poor from the onboard mic. So I have also a small mic supplied by OSMO which plugs into the 3.5 mm jack and is an improvement , but am trying to do better still, so I have found another mic labelled a Sony ECM-PS1. Thjs does work but I find that recordings are of low level, and have a lot of bg noise hash throughout.

The OSMO records mono audio only on 1 track embedded into the quicktime .mov file. The small OSMO mic is 3.5mm 3 pole, as is the Sony ECM-PS1 BUT the Sony is a stereo mic.
Might this account for the poor performance??

Ill attach a pic of both mics.

Any thoughts appreciated

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Am i likely to have issues here
on May 30, 2016 at 3:13:06 am

Hello Peter and thanks for so much good content over the years.

Simple answer is, I don't know those mics.

How do you even mount a mic on the DJI OSMO?

Is there evan a shoe?

How far can the mic extend before it's in the shot?

What are you trying to record and in what situations?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 30, 2016 at 4:47:52 pm

Hi Ty and Richard
re
How do you even mount a mic on the DJI OSMO?
A. The osmo is pretty poor in this regard so ill take and add another photo showing the options.

Is there evan a shoe?
Nope its an additional part Ive cobbled together.

How far can the mic extend before it's in the shot?
Not far. Im not looking for excellent audio resumts from it as I understand beeter than most that a sep sound recordist is the way forward, but i would like the sound it captures natively not to suffer from muchg background hash as at present.

What are you trying to record and in what situations?
Well im using it as it spictures are fabulously stabilised and you can literally run down the street, but the shot looks like I laid a track!

Richard. I agree with you that the mic is a poor mans tool. I just happened across it in a cupbiard whilst looking for a mini mic for my new mount see pic.
Since posting i have discovered with a meter that the sennheiser 3,5mm jack to jack i was using with it is only wired on the tip and sleeve. I think this might be negativlely affecting things too so im going to make a new one wired across all 3 poles when i get a minute.

Pictures showing the basic screen with whip mic and 2 showing each side with my souped up mount with sennheiser radio mic mounted, screen and suspension mount for sony mic.

Cheers
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 30, 2016 at 5:40:04 pm

Yes, if you are using a TS extention cable between the TRS mic and the (presumed) TRS input jack, I can see a scenario where that will significantly attenuate the audio signal. What does it sound like if you plug the mic directly into the camera? At least for the purposes of diagnosing the audio problem, not necessarily as a practical solution.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 30, 2016 at 7:00:48 pm

Peter,

If you had a phantom supply and wanted to go "Top shelf", I vote for a DPA 4018 capsule on their short "C" power supply. Together a DPA 4018C.

The whole shooting match is about 2 inches long.

Here's how that compares to a CMC641:

Here's the Deal: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1055964-REG/dpa_microphones_4018c_com...

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 30, 2016 at 3:25:44 pm

The Sony ECM-PS1 is the "lowest-common denominator" default mic that is included with Sony's ENG cameras. It is a monaural "shotgun" mic but it is wired to send the audio to both tip (left) and ring (right) of the 3.5mm stereo mic input jack. News organizations who use those cameras for serious work likely keep the ECM-PS1 in the kit bag as a an emergency, backup spare, but most likely put a "proper" mic on the camera if they want to get above-average audio performance.

1) The Sony ECM-PS1 is not noted for above-average performance. And the "average" for these default mics is rather low. I suspect that those new range of little plastic mics from Rode probably beat it handily.

2) We don't know how the DJI Osmo mic jack is wired, given that the camera is only recording monaural. But I have a 70-80% confidence that they are paralleling the tip and ring (left & right) together, or just taking the tip (left) and ignoring the ring (right). So I don't think the problem is there.

3) It seems most likely that the DJI Osmo camera has a very rudimentary mic preamp circuit, and combined with the low-sensitivity microphone, you are just seeing the expected performance from the minor-league farm team.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]