FORUMS: list search recent posts

Powering a shotgun mic wirelessly?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tarik Fouda
Powering a shotgun mic wirelessly?
on May 18, 2016 at 8:45:26 pm

Hey there,
I have a phantom-powered shotgun mic (Rode NTG3) that I usually run into my mixer with an xlr cable, but I'm interested in powering it wirelessly so I can have boom operator roam around without being attached to me. What's the best way to do this? I was hoping I could do it with my Sennheiser wireless transmitter/receivers so as not to buy a whole new set of gear, but I assume I won't be able to power the mic this way without some kind of a converter (if such a thing even exists). I suppose I could buy an external battery powered preamp, but if possible it would be great if there were another option. Any thoughts on this? Thanks so much, as always.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Powering a shotgun mic wirelessly?
on May 19, 2016 at 12:19:53 am

Without spending a lot of money for a new wireless system with a plug on transmitter that supplies 48v phantom for your NTG 3 you're going to need a battery powered pre amp that can supply 48v phantom and out put an audio signal at mic level to feed your tx.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 19, 2016 at 12:20:21 am

There are wireless "plug-on" transmitters that DO provide phantom power. That is typically what people use to implement wireless boom poles.

There are also external phantom power gadgets which can be used between your NTG3 and an existing (non-phantom) body-pack transmitter.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on May 19, 2016 at 9:56:08 am

This might help you,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/403002-REG/Denecke_PS_1A_PS_1A_Portab...

I have purchased some sets of Sony UWP-D-16 that have a plug on Tx unit that has phantom power, It makes corporate interviews a VERY quick easy set up with Sennheiser 416's or 8060 on stands or booms.... And NO cables.... Love them

I also think Rode make a plug on Tx unit with phantom power in the 2.4g frequency band.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 19, 2016 at 6:47:33 pm

I admire Denecke that their name-recognition permits them to sell products like their PS-1A for such a premium price. But there are products that do the same job for around 20-30% of the price of that PS-1A There are at least half a dozen alternatives even on Amazon.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on May 19, 2016 at 11:05:56 pm

Richard, but those 'phantom power' supplies on Amazon need a wall wart plug pack to power them...... Not very location friendly.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on May 19, 2016 at 3:51:02 pm

[Tarik Fouda] "What's the best way to do this? I was hoping I could do it with my Sennheiser wireless transmitter/receivers so as not to buy a whole new set of gear,..."

Sennheiser makes the SKP 300 G3 for this. Works with your standard G3 receiver.

That said, wireless should be a last resort. This thing can't sound as good, be as reliable, and is way more expensive, than a simple XLR cable. You know that, right?

Return to posts index

Tarik Fouda
on May 19, 2016 at 5:28:40 pm

Yes, I prefer to go wired, but there are occasionally situations where it would be convenient to have the option of a wireless system. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 20, 2016 at 6:38:31 am

If you're going to do this don't go half way. Invest in something to the Rolls PM55a or a similar amplifier/splitter that gives your boom operator the ability to monitor the boom signal at the same time it splits it out for the wireless feed to the camera.
Asking a crew person to do mic booming - and then making them "guess" what kind of signal is going to the recorder is really silly.
FWIW

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 22, 2016 at 4:55:57 am

Absolutely. Its amazing to me that all the companies don't sell a way for the boom op to hear what he is sending the audio tech and/or cam op. Granted getting the boom close and pointed at the mouth will usually do the job but monitoring would give the boom op constant feedback. And different voices do effect mike placement, never mind b.g. noise.

Bill, what would allow the cordless plug-in to send a feed to the headphone amp for the boom op. I'd guess a second receiver into the Rolls would do it. But maybe it would be better to go XLR out the mike then use a transmitter out the rolls to the camera or mixer. For starters the G3 plug-in that provides phantom eats batteries.

And it does add weight to the end of the boom. The down side to this would be that the boom op would not hear the audio being sent to the recorder because they would be hearing the xlr feed which could be fine and the cordless kit could pick up interference or worse.

I've requested these components for our studio but it hasn't been ordered yet. My workflow would be XLR from hypercardioid to rolls> xlr to 302 mixer providing the phantom. Then cordless G3 from the mixer to the cam op. This allows the audio crew to stay together and provide a good feed to the camera/recorder. All three ops would wear headphones. With the back up of adding an xlr cable from the mixer to the camera. But we rarely get interference in the studio using the G3 A kits.

Granted an xlr connection is more solid. However, we use floor light stands and stingers and it's not a huge studio and it gets crowded. This gives the cam op and audio crew more freedom to move for each shot.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 25, 2016 at 6:05:29 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on May 25, 2016 at 6:35:55 pm

[Craig Alan] "Bill, what would allow the cordless plug-in to send a feed to the headphone amp for the boom op. I'd guess a second receiver into the Rolls would do it."

That seems overly complex.

My wireless boom rig is pretty straightforward.

XLR from the boom mic into the Rolls PM55p which provides phantom power via a 9V battery, (yes, the battery need to be changed on long sessions.) The Rolls is belt clip mounted to the operator and provides the headphone tap and level control. Next to it on the operators belt a XLR to 3.5 mm shorty (came with my Sennheiser AVX wireless lav system) gets the Rolls pass-through OUT to the wireless transmitter IN.

The tiny AVX receiver goes direct into the camera IN via XLR, or you can buy another AVX XLR to 3.5mm shorty to get the signal into an unbalanced mic in if that's all your camera supports. The cam op monitors the camera sound as usual.

Obviously, the wireless link can be anything you own or can afford and feel is appropriately dependable - At $1000 or so a pair, the Sennheiser system may not fit your budget, but the idea remains the same. Let the box do the splitting and level setting for the operator - and just send ONE feed signal back to the camera.

FWIW.

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 26, 2016 at 3:25:50 am

I think we suggested the same set-up " it would be better to go XLR out the mike then use a transmitter out the rolls to the camera or mixer."

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]