FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser G3 odd artifacts

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke O'Brien
Sennheiser G3 odd artifacts
on May 3, 2016 at 7:54:24 am
Last Edited By Luke O'Brien on May 3, 2016 at 8:24:10 am

I'm calling to all people using lavellier mics, I have used this for months now and they have been perfect.

But lately there has been some odd distortion, almost like saturated even though the levels are clearly not clipping. I scan for frequencies every time everywhere and I take the first bank that is free with a lot of channels, Set the af out to -6db and squelch on low.

By scanning new frequencies I can be clear and sound from this problems, but even within the same take it could gradually become glitchy.

The main thing that I've noticed it that the subject can have their voice distorted, but mainly the background noise sounds very low bitrate compressed even though on set.

I have watch most videos on the G3 and they are more likely to be set up videos which i don't need.

Can someone help me. Is it a frequency problem?

Here Is a link to a clip that has the problem:

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Sennheiser G3 odd artifacts
on May 4, 2016 at 2:30:24 am

There isn't enough sound level on the clip to make a judgement call. Try re-posting with the gain raised.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Luke O'Brien
on May 4, 2016 at 8:47:47 am

It is -6db safe, loud and clear, I don't want to crank up the gain so people can blame the fact that it would saturate or be clipping whilst it's not.

You can clearly hear the artifacts and digital sounds.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 5, 2016 at 12:31:13 am

It plays back at a very low level making it almost impossible to hear anything of value on the clip.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Luke O'Brien
on May 5, 2016 at 8:14:41 am

Here is a new clip with levels increased

Can you help me with this sennheiser g3 problem?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 5, 2016 at 7:24:20 pm

Why is this in stereo with the two people panned hard right and left?

That makes NO sense since we only have a single shot view of the action.

Collapse this down to dual mono and then toss a compressor or limiter on it to get the levels consistent.

That will at least reveal what you're working with.

Stereo is for music and placing audio elements in a known sound field. NOT for simple talking head videos.

My 2 cents.

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Luke O'Brien
on May 6, 2016 at 7:21:46 am

Please don't assume too much.

This is taken from a multi camera setup of 3 cameras (2 opposite single heads and 1 main wide shot).

There is nothing stupid about this. I hooked up the 2 subject with the g3, and the 2 receivers are connected to a Beachtek that merge the signals into one signal that goes straight in the camera. I would have used the zoom H5N normally but it was a quick shoot and didn't have time to sync up.

I am well aware for what stereo is for and I have my whole post production workflow prepared for it.

I'm just looking about the distortion of the sound, nothing else.

I guess next time I am going to upload a draft clip with no image on it, so people don't assume other factors that has nothing to do with the actual problem.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 7, 2016 at 12:23:50 am

[Luke O'Brien] "Please don't assume too much."

The only thing I assumed was that you were looking for people to help you evaluate what you posted.

So that's what I did.

Call me crazy, but evaluating a hard panned stereo mix to assess the quality of artifacts doesn't really help me do a good job of that. What if the problem was related to comb filtering? That doesn't appear until the stereo image gets collapsed to mono.

Having not given me a clearer idea of how you're recording, assessing or intend to use the sound you're posting, it appears I can't help.

Fair enough.

I'm sure others will come along with more time.

Good luck.

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 15, 2016 at 3:56:11 pm

Have you used this chain before with 2 receivers into the Beachtek out to the camera?

I'd try going straight to the camera's XLRs. Get one device out of the chain.

Its been a while, but a lot of problems for me got solved when I moved away from adapters and even underpowered small mixers and got a SD 302. Even SD mixpreD was underpowered for dynamic mikes in particular.

I would try isolating each variable until the problem is solved.

Low power is a possibility.

Try brand new AA non-rechargeables. Make sure there is no acid build up in devices.

Try different interconnects including the ones that come with the G3.

Check your play back settings in your NLE - try variations of mono and stereo and see if anything gets good playback. Maybe the beachtek is premixing the signal?

It could also be intermittent interference.

Try a different location and/or

different frequency maybe even a different bank.

Camera issue: Try going hard wired and see if that solves the problem.

Any part of an audio chain can screw up sound.

List your full chain for the pros here:

Type of mike, mixer, each devices settings, recorder, camera.

Audio is the hardest part to get decent.

Once it's decent then yeah its also an artistic craft like lighting.

But only audio will screw up a shoot completely.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on May 5, 2016 at 9:27:42 pm
Last Edited By Bruce Watson on May 5, 2016 at 9:30:30 pm

[Luke O'Brien] "Is it a frequency problem?"

Probably has nothing to do with frequency; this doesn't sound like any RFI I've heard before. Sounds like maybe a range problem, also possibly companders acting weird. Both of those point to either low battery (what battery are you using and how fresh is it?), or difficulty maintaining signal (where are the antennas, both transmitter and receiver?).

Could also be lose connections just about anywhere (antennas, mic cables, batteries, receiver to recorder cables, etc.).

What people are saying about your gain staging are true. But that's probably not your immediate problem. But it could also be pointing toward a battery problem, as can this:

[Luke O'Brien] "but even within the same take it could gradually become glitchy."

So... trouble shooting. If both channels did this at the same time it's really unlikely that the problem is the wireless mics. More likely is a single point of failure in the recording chain somewhere. For example, if both channels feed into a single recorder, look there first. Check to make sure it's getting good power, has clean connections, is set correctly for what you're doing, etc. If you can, try another recorder (even if it's just a mic feed into a camera). If the problem goes away, you have your answer. If not, start checking the two channels against each other.

If the recorder has been cleared, then pick a channel, make a change, compare to the other channel. First thing, start with fresh Alkalines in one channel. Not rechargeables. Alkalines. Replace the four in one channel, see how it sounds compared to the other channel. If it's the same, it's not likely a power problem, so keep looking.

Just for completeness, what is your entire recording chain? Two G3s, yes. What else? Mixer? Recorder? What levels? Balanced or unbalanced? Give us all the juicy details please.

Return to posts index

Luke O'Brien
on May 6, 2016 at 7:38:14 am

Thank you so much for a clear explanation,

I was guessing something could have acted up because of the batteries. There is 2 receivers (they were at full 3 bars and the other at 2 bars), but yes indeed there are rechargeable batteries since we had a massive bag of 50 dead batteries, we thought of going with rechargeable batteries. Can you tell me more about why it's not a good option for these G3s?

The chain is this: it is a 3 camera setup (2 panasonic and 1 Sony a7s), the 2 subjects are mic'd up with pop filters and dead cats. the two receivers are merged in one signal with the use of a beachtek audio interface. The whole thing is fed to one of the 3 cameras, one of the panasonic to be exact.

So what I have is one single signal with two audios with three point of views.

I would have liked to use a singular zoom h5n to manage all signal but did not have the time.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on May 6, 2016 at 6:24:07 pm

[Luke O'Brien] "I was guessing something could have acted up because of the batteries. There is 2 receivers (they were at full 3 bars and the other at 2 bars), but yes indeed there are rechargeable batteries since we had a massive bag of 50 dead batteries, we thought of going with rechargeable batteries. Can you tell me more about why it's not a good option for these G3s?"

Voltage. Rechargeables in general can't deliver the voltage needed. I read that the Eneloop rechargeables seem to work reasonably well. When they are fully charged. And if they've been charged properly using a good recharger.

If the problem just occurred when you changed both wireless systems over to rechargeables, there ya go. If not, I'd be looking at the Beachtek. It may exhibit similar behavior with rechargeables, IDK.

More information:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/tips-and-solutions/how-eliminate-...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?314812-Sennheiser-G3-Wireless-Lav-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]