FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to do the mixing of audio for my film; in premiere or audition..?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Marce
Where to do the mixing of audio for my film; in premiere or audition..?
on Apr 16, 2016 at 7:54:35 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if after laying down the ADR dialogues, sfx, music all on their separate tracks in premiere pro, in their respective sequences (as there are multiple sequences in my project); and I would do the post processing of audio i.e dialogues and music in Audition, like equalising, compression etc by sending each of the sequences to Audition through dynamic link...

Then after the post processing of the audio, where should I do the mixing of audio..? In Audition or should I do the mixing in premiere pro..?

I mean after the post processing of the audio should I export the sequences back into premiere pro and then do the mixing there, in premiere pro..? Or after the post processing of the audio should I also mix the audio in Audition itself and then export the sequence back into premiere pro..?

Coz there might arise a need to put keyframes in audio tracks after exporting the sequence from Audition back into premiere pro... And also after exporting the sequence from audition back into premiere pro, it merges all the audio clips in an audio track and makes it a single long clip... So can I put keyframes on that single audio track..?

This is for the feature film project...and I want to do a 5.1 surround mix..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thnx in advance...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: Where to do the mixing of audio for my film; in premiere or audition..?
on Apr 16, 2016 at 8:50:08 pm

[Steve Marce] "Then after the post processing of the audio, where should I do the mixing of audio..?"

I'm not sure what you mean when you separate "post processing" from "mixing" since to me mixing is a post task. So to me, post is post.

I can only think that most people would want to do audio tasks in the audio program. That is what it's for, yes? That's what I do anyway.

But there are many paths to the waterfall. Use the workflow with which you are most comfortable.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 17, 2016 at 10:48:21 am

Ok cards on the table, Im a Post mixer.
1) So 1st question is what metering have you got to give you even the 1st chance of getting your levels right.
2) What about Loudness mixing.
3) Are you delivering an M&E
4) are you mixing stems for surround.
5) Where is its use? TV, cinema, neither.?
6) Have you ever mixed anything before?
7) What are your monitors and how accurate are they

Unless you are VERY clear on the detailed answers to all of these questions id pause and seriously ask yourself if you can get it righ and deliver the required elements to the required standards etc?
Perhaps consider taking it to a post house?
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 17, 2016 at 6:47:15 pm

during editorial you will select/discard tracks & takes, sync & adjust levels to an approximation of your final mix.

Unwise to do much more than this as you'll spend time on material that may not make the final cut.

If you cannot afford time or money for professional audio mix and need to do it yourself I'd recommend you do it in PPRO. Send clips to Audition if you need to de click / denoise or otherwise use tricks that PPro does not have.

But if you have the time/money it's best to get an audio professional to do the mix, once you have picture locked. You provide them with AAF/OMF or project & media and they'll provide you with a full mix as a single file (plus M&E & stems as required.

Typically you will then marry those back with the (onlined, graded & graphiced) picture to export your deliverables.

(One show I do as a very tight turnaround involves the sound super & editor working together in the NLE (Avid) to retain flexibility and quality right up to transmission)

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 17, 2016 at 6:49:15 pm

And I just realised you want to deliver 5.1 - you definitely need the help of an audio professional!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]