FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need some opinions on a waveform artifact

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kolb
Need some opinions on a waveform artifact
on Apr 7, 2016 at 9:15:59 pm

Hi all,

I have far more experience with visuals than sound, so I'm looking for some thoughts on an artifact we're starting to see in our in-house corporate narrator recordings.

We have a booth with a Rode NT2-A running to a Mackie 802VLZ4, which then goes into our Mac Pro where we record with Audition CS6. The system was pretty much in place when I joined the company, and we weren't seeing this type of thing very often if at all, but I've noticed this kind of artifact popping up a bit more lately. In the image at the link, the large wave shape is actually speech...the artifacts along the larger wave are pretty obvious.

I'm looking for some ideas where to start troubleshooting...I'm wondering if the computer is producing errors when it's actually digitizing the incoming analog sound...it's an older machine with a quad core and 8 GB or RAM, but if that's it, then something changed recently as we only recently really started to see this kind of thing more frequently.

Here's a screenshot:

https://sst.i-car.com/_-PWP6kGEv2-3fR

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Need some opinions on a waveform artifact
on Apr 8, 2016 at 4:03:02 am

It might be easier to evaluate by HEARING it. Can you post an uncompressed (WAV, AIF, etc.) track snippet with a couple seconds before and after the anomaly? Assuming you are asking about what appears to be a high-frequency riding on top of the dialog waveform? Have you identified the frequency?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]