FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions About Zaxcom TRXLA2 and RX200

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kendall
Questions About Zaxcom TRXLA2 and RX200
on Mar 22, 2016 at 11:29:33 pm
Last Edited By Sean Kendall on Mar 23, 2016 at 1:26:18 am

I've been using Sennheiser ENG microphones for years, specifically the G2 and G3 models. But I decided to switch to Zaxcom for a number of reasons. I purchased a TRXLA2 and RX200 and I have to admit my ignorance, because I'm not sure what a good lapel microphone to go with it would be. I'd like something with similar quality to the Sennheiser ME 2 mic, but apparently it needs a 3 Pin Lemo connector (which I'd never heard of before). So I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on a good lapel mic to go with this unit.

Also, the RX200 has a TA5M audio out port and I need to convert it to XLR or 1/4" to go into my Tascam recorder. Is there a specific adapter out there that someone would recommend? Again, I'm not familiar with the TA5M connector. I understand it can send either analog audio or AES audio (which I've never worked with before). Several of the converters I've seen are TA5M female to 2 XLR connectors. Not sure why that would be needed since it's just a mono signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Questions About Zaxcom TRXLA2 and RX200
on Mar 23, 2016 at 1:32:18 am

The 3 pin Lemo is a very small connector and wiring it for Zax transmitters is not for the novice. That said there are many lav mics that will do the job for you. I would suggest you contact me and we can talk about your requirements. I'm the manager of the Professional Sound Services branch in Ft. Lauderdale. (954-289-4770) http:/www.pro-sound.com.

Eric Toline

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Mar 24, 2016 at 12:36:56 am

[Sean Kendall] "I'm not sure what a good lapel microphone to go with it would be. I'd like something with similar quality to the Sennheiser ME 2 mic"

You can, and should, do better than that. The ME2 doesn't set the bar high at all. At least the one that came with my G3 radios does not.

Most people who are spending that much on a set of radios want to get the most out of them. And the Zaxcom and Lectrosonic radios can handle the best lavs available. Hollywood favorites include the Sanken COS-11d and the DPA 4060 (I think it would require their microdot to 3-pin lemo connector accessory but you'd have to ask to be sure). A favorite in my market for news broadcasts is the venerable old Tram TR50. Perhaps the best value in a lav mic is the Oscar Soundtech 801/2, which sounds very much like the TR50 but for less money and with excellent service from OST, but you have to go direct to OST. I don't believe OST are using dealers, but I could be wrong. OST will terminate it any way you want. I like the OST 802s enough that I've got two which I normally use visible on the clothes "newsdesk" style. They work great for what I'm using them for.

All of these will knock the socks off the Sennheiser ME2 IMHO. Just sayin'.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Mar 24, 2016 at 2:17:12 am

Do not overlook the Countryman line of lav mics. There's the EMW, B3 & the ultra mini B6. All are available with any connector you need. BTW: The OST or Oscar Sound Tech mics are available from any of the many Pro dealers.

Return to posts index

Sean Kendall
on Mar 28, 2016 at 3:44:10 pm
Last Edited By Sean Kendall on Mar 28, 2016 at 3:45:51 pm

Thank you both so much for the information. I did some more research and I believe I'm going to go with a Sanken mic. Looks like I need to special order a converter from the TA5M to 3-pin XLR.

I also appreciate your offer, Eric, but I've been working with a guy at Trew Audio, Inc (where I purchased the Zaxcom equipment). I wanted to get a second opinion and see what recommendations other audio pros had to offer.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Apr 3, 2016 at 12:49:10 am

The RX 200 is a 2 channel receiver meaning that you can send 2 independent signals from 2 Zaxcom transmitters in the same frequency block to it. That's why it has a five pin 2 channel output connector going to 2 XLR-M connectors. Surprised your sales person did not mention this feature to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]