FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need quick confirmation regarding strong echo in recording!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sophia Smoloka
Need quick confirmation regarding strong echo in recording!
on Feb 3, 2016 at 12:35:33 pm

Hi,

I've uploaded a sample of the audio in question here: 9743_selectmixdown.mp3.zip

Before I waste time on trying, here's my question: can this echo be removed?

I already tried various plugins (demos of Acon Digital DeVerberate, SPL De-Verb, and iZotope) to no avail and I'm pretty sure it's not possible. I was skeptical that it would work anyway as it's pretty bad.

And I know, it could have easily been avoided but I didn't make this recording.

Also a more technical question, is this an echo or reverb?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Need quick confirmation regarding strong echo in recording!
on Feb 3, 2016 at 5:49:19 pm

Hello Sophia and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What you're hearing is an echo. It sounds like this may have been on a SKYPE call and both parties were not on headsets with mics, so the audio coming out of one computer speaker is picked up by the microphone on the other computer and fed back in.

If it is a SKYPE call done on Call Recorder, you might be able to isolate the tracks using their split track applet and edit as needed to save the audio. If you need both sides of the conversation, you'd have to edit out the echo on track B when the person on track A was talking and vice versa. Not a big job.

As to reverb and echo. Echo is usually defined as sound that has discrete audible repetitions, repetitions, repetitions, repetitions.

Reverb OTOH is usually defined as a smooth ongoing extension of the sound. Like what you might hear in a big church.

You can have both reverb and echo at the same time.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Sophia Smoloka
on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:01:28 pm

I'm not sure how it was recorded but it was via Skype. However, there is only on track for the call, i.e. both sides are merged into one track. I will find out if there is an option to save the track separately with the software that was used.

Return to posts index

Alexey Lukin
on Feb 3, 2016 at 7:32:58 pm

This is echo, so reverb reduction tools won't help. The echo is pretty loud, which makes it hard to fix. Here's my best attempt with custom-made tools: 9746_resultdeecho.mp3.zip

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:10:52 am

Echo.
Person making the recording needs shooting.
Clearly werent monitoring with any qc.
Think of it like a cup of tea. Once you have made the tea with sugar, only making another will get rid of the sugar.
Its broken
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 8, 2016 at 5:52:06 pm

Peter,

Yes, yes and maybe.

SKYPE calls can be recorded in multitrack, but plain old ordinary playback may only be able to play all tracks together.

Call Recorder, which I use with Skype, does this. Call Recorder also has applets that will allow you to separate the tracks.

If this recording was done that way, each track may be available; perhaps one without the echo.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Sophia Smoloka
on Feb 8, 2016 at 8:15:52 pm

Hi Ty and Peter,

The call wasn't recorder with Call Recorder but with mp3 Skype Recorder and unfortunately, the in- and outgoing audio wasn't recorded to separate tracks (I don't think that's possible with mp3 Skype Recorder).

So unfortunately this recording can't be salvaged.

Thank you for your help though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]