FORUMS: list search recent posts

XLR to PC Line-In Adapter

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylon Noon
XLR to PC Line-In Adapter
on Feb 3, 2016 at 1:19:13 am

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Audio Technica at2020 XLR version. I'm not planning on getting any kind of "audio interface" to connect the XLR cable to. My question is if I connect the XLR cable to a line-in adapter for my pc, will I lose any audio quality? I've decided to get the XLR version of the Audio Technica at2020 because I've heard the USB version has a minor quality decrease which is pretty much unnoticeable. For example the XLR allows up to 24 bit resolution and the USB allows up to 16 bit resolution (I might be completely wrong here, but you get my point). If I connect the XLR cable to a pc line-in adapter will it then have the same limitations of the USB, or will it still retain its original XLR capacity of 24 bit resolution? Would I be better off just buying the USB version of the Audio Technica at2020? I know barely anything about this topic, or audio in general so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: XLR to PC Line-In Adapter
on Feb 3, 2016 at 3:49:28 am

Hello Dylon and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Everything depends on the specs on your computer sound card. Historically, stock computer sound cards aren't very good.

I'd say get the USB version or get one of these.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598406-REG/Shure_X2U_X2u_XLR_to.html/...

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]