FORUMS: list search recent posts

ENG mic handling noise suppression

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Prigge
ENG mic handling noise suppression
on Feb 1, 2016 at 10:59:29 pm

I just got a great deal on a Shure VP64L ENG mic. Handling noise can be a problem with any ENG mic. And I know proper technique is the cure. But has anyone ever seen a "sleeve" to fit over a stick mic that dampens handling noise? I've searched, but there seems to be no such thing. My question is more out of curiosity than necessity.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: ENG mic handling noise suppression
on Feb 2, 2016 at 2:35:40 am

That mic is rather the Shure equivalent of the venerable Electrovoice 635A microphone. One of the most popular hand-held "interview" mics is the Electrovoice RE50. But the RE50 is nothing but a 635A wrapped in foam and stuffed into a larger outer "shell".

You could conceivably take a length of pipe at least 3/4 inch larger ID (inside diameter) than the microphone OD (outside diameter). Wrap your VP64L with foam just thick enough to keep it from falling out of the pipe. That will provide something of a "shock mount" to decouple the microphone handle from noise generated by the user's hand.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 2, 2016 at 4:54:19 am

I have 4x of those mics and they have little or no handling noise, is it a loose connector noise?

I regularly use sure SM 63, VP64, RE50, Senni 835, and all have little or no handling noise, The RE50 is a mic within a mic and have been the workhorse of many networks for years. (but they are heavy compared to some others)

Return to posts index

Tom Prigge
on Feb 2, 2016 at 2:07:01 pm

I'm not having a problem with the mic, connector or otherwise. I was testing it out and purposely rubbed my fingers on it to see what the noise level might be. That got me wondering if there was such a thing as a sleeve for stick mics. Richard's idea is a good one, but Brian you are correct--it really has no handling noise. I got the long-handled VP64 from ebay for $25 and it sounds and looks fantastic.

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Feb 2, 2016 at 5:57:54 pm

[Tom Prigge] "But has anyone ever seen a "sleeve" to fit over a stick mic that dampens handling noise? I've searched, but there seems to be no such thing."

That's because what you're asking for won't work the way you imagine it. If the "sleeve" fits closely enough that the mic won't just fall out of it when you turn it over, then the attenuation is just about nil. That's because a proper "noise break" takes some space -- the noise energy has to transit a barrier that converts the energy to heat, thus dissipating it.

You might be able to do something with an external tube that gives you space all around the mic of at least 5mm, and fill this space with an acoustic glue like the ubiquitous "green glue". Might make a dent in the handling noise, at a cost of increasing the mic handle's external diameter by 15mm or more. Which will likely make it awkward to handle and uncomfortable in the hand. Not to mention destroying the mic's resale value ;-)

After all the time and money, you're likely to end up with only a marginal improvement. Better to just buy an EV RE50N/D-B and get a reporter's mic that was designed well in the first place. Wonderful mics, those are. I've never had anyone able to induce any handling noise into my RE50. Just sayin'.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:13:19 am

HOLD IT STILL. - no handling noise. Just like a cameraman has to hold the camera steady!
peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]