FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buzzing sound on old movie projector.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda O'Connell
Buzzing sound on old movie projector.
on Jan 27, 2016 at 1:26:35 pm
Last Edited By Linda O'Connell on Jan 27, 2016 at 3:17:15 pm

Not sure where to post this or what to even google to find out more information.
I have an old super 8 sound projector (circa 1974) that I need to get the audio off of the film.
It has one RCA output.
When I run an RCA output even to a speaker or headphones there is large buzzing sound...even before any film is run through.
Does this have something to the grounding on the machine? Is there anyway to minimize the buzzing before I transfer it?
(I have tried audio software after the fact and have had limited success)

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Buzzing sound on old movie projector.
on Jan 27, 2016 at 4:32:23 pm

If it is making a hum or buzz even when nothing is moving, that strongly suggests that there is a problem with the electronic circuit inside the projector. It is quite common for equipment that old to have electrolytic capacitors which have dried out and lost their ability to do their job. Likely the largest electrolytic capacitor in your projector is the one that filters the power supply.

Hearing a hum/buzz like that strongly suggests that the main filter capacitor has dried up. Electrically, it is a rather simple repair, but mechanically, it may be somewhat challenging to get inside to replace the component. Any competent electronic repair resource could likely fix it rather quickly.

Return to posts index

Linda O'Connell
Re: Buzzing sound on old movie projector.
on Jan 27, 2016 at 5:02:33 pm

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]