FORUMS: list search recent posts

using a stereo plugin power mic with phantom XLR inputs...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shea A.J. Comfort
using a stereo plugin power mic with phantom XLR inputs...
on Dec 31, 2015 at 7:26:28 pm

Hello Everyone,

My family just got a Panasonic HX-1000 camera, and we would like to use the old cameras' microphone with it. However, the old one is a Sony ECM-PS1 stereo and has a single TRS mini jack for its connector. I ordered an adaptor cable from B&H that will give me two XLR from the mini stereo jack, but apparently it will not pass the correct voltage to my mic to make it work (phantom only on the new camera = 48v, and the mic needs 5v, it seems...).

I have looked for adaptor boxes, but most are going from XLR to mini to use nicer mics in camera with only mini jack inputs for mics. Not what I need...

I need two XLR adaptors that can drop 48v to 5v for L & R channels for the mic... But, at a reasonable price. At some point, I guess getting a new mic might be the only answer. But, this seems like such a waste, as the other mic works just fine.

Any suggestion?

Thank you,

~Shea

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: using a stereo plugin power mic with phantom XLR inputs...
on Dec 31, 2015 at 9:09:21 pm

Are you sure the original mic is stereo as Google says its a Mono mic?
Rather than wasting your time trying to make / obtain adaptors to possibly making it work why not just go to eBay and buy a mic that suits your needs.
Converting Phantom Power to Plug in power is not easy to do.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shotgun-Condenser-Microphone-XLR-Cable-for-Digit...
I have purchased several of these mics and they sound fine (my use is Broadcast)

Return to posts index

Shea A.J. Comfort
on Jan 1, 2016 at 8:37:06 pm

Hello Brian,

It has L R very clearly marked on it, and is stereo... But, thank you for the reply. I am looking for a stereo solution, as I am recording mostly our bands/ concerts with the camera at the moment.

Too bad the +48 to +5v is so difficult to come by, seems like it would be quite easy to implement. I guess not enough market for the effort.

Thank you again of the suggestion/comments.

~Shea

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jan 1, 2016 at 9:43:39 pm

Some of the early Sony model numbers were a bit fragmented and the google info I got was basic... But lets assume it IS a stereo mic, In the searching I did tho find this that might be of help..
http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/pfa-phantom-po...

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 3, 2016 at 5:20:56 am

Yes, I concur. Naiant is a good source for a semi-custom adapter like that.

However, I question the larger-picture wisdom of spending that kind of money on an adapter to enable you to continue to use a cheap consumer microphone with an up-scale camera. Especially an on-camera microphone of limited usefulness.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 1, 2016 at 7:45:46 pm

As Mr. Reynolds said, it would probably be cheaper to just buy an XLR microphone than to try to retro-fit the old one.

While it is not rocket-surgery to turn the 48V phantom power into 5V "plug-in power", there seem to be almost no commercial adapters widely available.
Perhaps because if you have a camera with XLR and 48V phantom power, few people try to use cheap consumer 5V plug-in power mics.

And especially because newer technology has made made significantly better microphones since that Sony model was designed. Take a look at the various models of Rode on-camera microphones available. http://www.rode.com/microphones/video

HOWEVER, what are you shooting/recording where a camera-mounted microphone is desirable? There are almost NO situations where a micrphone mounted ON the camera produced suitable results, at least IME.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 2, 2016 at 1:48:21 am

Hello Shea and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Provided you can get a proper camera mount with a suspension that keeps camera handling noises from being picked up, this AT mic can use Phantom Power or run on its own batteries. I have one for just those occasions.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602080-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8022_AT80...

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Shea A.J. Comfort
on Jan 4, 2016 at 8:18:43 am

Thank you Everyone for the comments, your help is appreciated.

I think at this point, I am clear about just getting a better +48v mic, and have narrowed it down to: the Røde NT4, or the AT 8022. The one audio example I heard from a shootout on these two had much more detail in the Røde mics' audio than the AT mic. The Røde also has a case and a 10 yr warranty, which is also quite nice.

I realize the Røde mic is large and heavy (compared to the AT 8022), but, I don't have to mount it to the camera, it just would be very convenient if possible. The camera will always be set-up on a tripod and just left to run for our shows...

Has someone worked with both of these mics? Any reason why I should not do the Røde mic?

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions.

~Shea

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 4, 2016 at 2:38:51 pm
Last Edited By Richard Crowley on Jan 4, 2016 at 2:39:29 pm

The Rode mic is a pretty good value for the price. And it is a generation (or two) newer technology design than the Sennheiser. But of course Sennheiser is no slouch. Either are quite nice.

It is curious, though, why you are using a shotgun mic for what seems to be a "locked-down" shot. It sounds like you my not be using the ideal type of mic (or deployment) for the job.

Return to posts index

Shea A.J. Comfort
on Jan 4, 2016 at 7:12:31 pm

The NT4 is not a shotgun mic, from what I can tell, rather, a set XY condenser pair. I just need something that will capture the performances from an audience perspective and give me a better recording than the on-camera mic. I believe the NT4 should do it.

I have a complete studio and do already own Schoeps mics, for when we might record in a controlled environment (church, etc) for the traditional acoustic ensemble. But, for the gigs with the rock band (pubs, cafes, etc, I am not bringing the Schoeps...;-). The NT4 will be the good quality workhorse...

BTW, I am also playing in both bands, and doing the stage sound for our gigs, so all I really can do is set a camera on a tripod for the evening and get on with it. Not ideal, but will get us promo material to show who/what we are for future folks who may want to hire us...;-)

Make better sense?

Thank you,

~Shea

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]