FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Field Monitor Headphones

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Dean
Need Field Monitor Headphones
on Dec 8, 2015 at 4:13:47 pm

Hey All,

We do a lot of outside audio and other field work. I got approval for a new pair of headphones and am having trouble finding the right pair. My budget is no more than 500.00. Needs to be over the ear, since we share equipment among a few people.

Not entirely sure that it matters for what you all might suggest, but we use the Sound Device 633, and Country B6 with sennheizer G3 packs. Or if there is already a thread for this that I can find, a point in the right direction would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Nick

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: Need Field Monitor Headphones
on Dec 8, 2015 at 4:30:02 pm

[Nicholas Dean] "We do a lot of outside audio and other field work. I got approval for a new pair of headphones and am having trouble finding the right pair."

There are a couple of "standards" for dialog recording. One is the Sony MDR-7506. Another is the Sennheiser HD 25-sp II. There are of course others, but these seem to give the professional dialog recordists what they want.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Dec 10, 2015 at 2:51:52 am

The Sony 7506 has hyped frequency response and closes off any room you're in so you don't get an accurate aural picture of your surroundings. I would strongly suggest the Ultrasone HFI 680 as your best choice. They do take a bit of getting used to but they will give a true picture of what you're recording.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Nicholas Dean
on Dec 10, 2015 at 4:51:37 pm

We have our purchase team do everything through BH. It looks like the 680's arent available through them anymore.

Would there be much of a difference if we bought this pair instead? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1094098-REG/ultrasone_ult_perf840_ult...

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Dec 11, 2015 at 3:41:15 am
Last Edited By Eric Toline on Dec 11, 2015 at 3:48:37 am

The HFI 580 is the one you want. Here's an excerpt of a review on the 580:

"HFI-580: OK, here's where we're excited! You see, many of the spendier offerings from Sennheiser and AKG didn't impress us as being much, if any, better than the HD280Pro? But right off the bat, the Ultrasone HFI-580 is catching our ear. Better detail than the Senn in the mids and highs. Fuller sound. And even a fuller bass that doesn't take away from the detail of the mid's and highs! The headphone looks nice. Seems well built. Is easily driven, (maybe our favorite headphone directly from our Classic iPod for certain types of upbeat music?). Yes, at about the $190 price point, we can easily say we have not been quite as impressed with any other Closed Cans we've tried from other manufacturers as we are the Ultrasone HFI-580!"

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

Nicholas Dean
on Dec 11, 2015 at 7:47:13 pm

Cool, thanks for the advice Eric!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]