FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50
on Nov 21, 2015 at 5:41:36 pm

Our 7560 phones are showing their age. stretched out coiled cables which I never liked. worn out padding etc.

I like the fact that the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x comes with 3 cables which can be plugged in and out.

However i wanted to know if these add any color to the mix or are they still a neutral what you hear is what you get 7506 replacement or on par with alternative. Also will the plug in cable design proof a weak link over time?
Also how do they fit compared top the 7506 which on my head feels a bit small/tight

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50
on Nov 21, 2015 at 7:34:28 pm

Do you actually 'MIX' on headphones or do you just record material?
I find it interesting about headphones and the use there of, most time you use them to monitor location sound and what to basically hear just a few things like is the mic on or off direction, bottom end rumble and if you have RF or noise problems.
If you are using H/Phones to monitor problems then almost ANY sort can be used (including the ones they give out on plane flight) Ideally ones that isolate the external sound would be better.

But if you are actually 'MIXING' final product material on headphones (any sort any model).......Good luck you are going to need it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 21, 2015 at 8:12:48 pm

No not a pro MIX. Though we do use them with FCP X in a multi station edit lab without the benefit of a sound treated room with one pro editor using high end monitors and mixer.

I also understand what you are saying in the field but I have found the sony 7506 gives you a better take on the sound you are actually recording. It's true that the field mixers are mainly about setting gain and making sure the sound reaches the recoding device and isn't picking up interference. However, you are also working with talent and placing the mikes to get the best sound possible from a given set up and voice quality. And I need headphones that are durable -- being lent to students and get a lot of use.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this model compared to the sony and the previous version of the AT.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 22, 2015 at 3:40:04 pm

Hello Craig,

I only know the ATH-M40 and the 7506. The ATH-M40 don't have the extended high frequencies of the 7506.

The ATH-M40 are larger than the MDR7506 so they take up more space.

Both are closed back.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 13, 2015 at 1:06:37 am

HFI 580 which got mentioned in another thread?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]