FORUMS: list search recent posts

The strangest audio bug I've ever encountered. Any thoughts?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Haughton
The strangest audio bug I've ever encountered. Any thoughts?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 2:49:36 am

I did a sit down interview a few months ago, finally had time to do some editing. The video is as good as I can expect, but my field recorder (Tascam DR-44WL) ended up..... I honestly don't have a good way of explaining it. It will play the audio for ~1000 samples jump to another part of the recording for ~250 samples and jump back where it was, and the cycle continues. The audio runs a few minutes longer than the video clips do. The interview was a little over an hour, and the field recorder captured about 67 minutes.

here is a dropbox link with a short sample to illustrate my dilemma.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va98fr0ffad7ygs/interview%20clip.wav?dl=0

The audio file plays in every media player I've tried. So, I don't think it's a header issue, but like I said. I've simply NEVER encountered this before. If you guys need more info from me, I'm happy to give it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: The strangest audio bug I've ever encountered. Any thoughts?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 2:17:14 pm

Hello Matt and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Sounds like a corrupt audio file or maybe a card issue. Did you reformat the card before recording? Is this card on their list of OK cards to use?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Matt Haughton
on Nov 17, 2015 at 2:04:57 am

Thanks for the response, and the welcome to the forum.

The card came with the recorder, so I would assume it's approved. A formatting issue may in fact be the problem. But, I always wipe it (format it from my PC) after I take the relevant files off, and format it from the recorder when I put it in for use.

From there, are you aware of any way of re-compiling it to something I can use? I spent hours trying to de-noise the audio captured from the camera. It was filmed in a coffee house, there is music, swinging doors, and the sound of the steamer for frothing milk. Even the spectral editing in Samplitude is tedious. Keeping in mind, it's over an hour.

I may just have to scrap the project, or do what I can to clean up the camera audio. Either way, I'm thinking I should run a 1/4" TRS from the recorder output to the camera to print it directly to the video as well, using the recorder for a backup and mixer for multiple channel (mic) recording.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 17, 2015 at 3:15:36 am

Matt,

Have you done any firmware upgrades of the recorder since you bought it? That may have changed the appetite of your recorder.

If you bought that card very cheaply, it could be a counterfeit card.

I'd check the Tascam web site for a forum or reach out to their technical support.

If you can put the card back into the recorder and play out the audio to another device, that may get you home.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]