FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Engineers Society Convention 2015 NYC Report

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Audio Engineers Society Convention 2015 NYC Report
on Nov 7, 2015 at 6:50:08 pm

Hi,

I saw a lot of gear and a lot of people at AES/NYC last week. Here's an ongoing report.

http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow AUdio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: Audio Engineers Society Convention 2015 NYC Report
on Nov 7, 2015 at 7:19:51 pm

[Ty Ford] "I saw a lot of gear and a lot of people at AES/NYC last week. Here's an ongoing report."

So, what about this new Samar VL37A? Did Mr. Fouxman give you any idea on a ship date? Price? Are you going to obtain one to compare to the passive version? I'm just sayin' it would be nice if you could test both versions at the same time to answer the question of how the active's amp changes the sound, if at all.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 7, 2015 at 7:25:25 pm

Bruce,

He had one at the show. It's more sensitive that the passive, obviously.

I would suspect that it will sound different to some degree because of the active circuitry he's put between the ribbon and the output.

The passive should exhibit more differences in sound because the ribbon will be interacting more directly with the individual preamp input.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum leader

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Nov 8, 2015 at 11:24:29 pm

Nice write up. Thanks. I find it interesting that even new audio pro devices continue to come out with analogue VU meters. While I don't consider myself an 'audio pro' but a serious amateur, and having owned a field mixer with analogue VU meters, and one (Sound Devices) with beautiful green LED meters, I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to analogue VU meters. I do have friends that continue to fight anything digital, and likely the analogue meters are just an analogue representation of a digital signal, but I've found it vastly more useful to see my meters as done by SD than by standard older VU meters. Am I missing something or is this the preference of the majority of the pro audio world?

Al

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 9, 2015 at 1:05:11 am

Hey Al,

Thanks! Nice seeing you out here. I think the thing is there's always been a "retro-force" and that the way they like it. The two-channel AnaMod that supposedly gives you that analog tape feel, complete with adjustable tape hiss appeals to those folks as well, I guess. Most of these folks aren't old enough to have experienced much if any real analog gear, but they have "bought" the idea that "analog is better."

My position is that good analog is better than bad digital and good digital is better than bad analog.

Similarly, good tubes are better than bad solid state and good solid state is better than bad tubes.

I'm also a fan of the Sound Devices metering in Peak + RMS mode. Once I saw that on a SD 442, I was hooked. And it's interesting to see how different people's voices vary in that RMS to Peak ratio. The space between the two on the meter can be very wide or very close.

If I had meters like the analog with peak flashers, I don't think I'd be watching anything but the peak flashers.

I have piece of gear here that near drove me crazy. Turns out the peak flashers lit up at -3dB below 0. I kept freaking out when I saw them light up. I finally re-read the manual. Ha!

The 442 LEDs have raised more than an eyebrow. They go to yellow or orange above +14, (I think) and I may run that hot on peaks because I use the limiters. I like to just touch the limiters occasionally. People would see the meters go yellow or red and ask if I was clipping. Um, no, but thanks for asking. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow AUdio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Nov 9, 2015 at 2:46:51 am

Yes, understood. Good to know about the SD orange. I didn't give that a thought. I'll stick with digital and learn it's limits, as I'm spoiled with SD meters and just find VU so limiting...ah well. .

Al

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 9, 2015 at 3:12:45 am

Well, I'm using -20dB as a reference. I send tone 0 dB from the 442 and set the level on the recorder or camera at -20 dB.

That means I can use up tp the +20 on the 442 before hitting the wall. The meters go green orange red before getting to +20.

That can be alarming if you don't know the mixer.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Nov 9, 2015 at 3:32:31 am

Right. I wasn't being clear. That's what I do also.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]