FORUMS: list search recent posts

sennheiser G3 transmitter cable

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
sennheiser G3 transmitter cable
on Nov 6, 2015 at 1:49:12 am

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/133646-REG/Comprehensive_XLRJ_MPS_18I...

B&H # COCSMMXF1.5 MFR # XLRJ-MPS-18INST

will this work to connect a

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/619087-REG/Sennheiser_SK_300_G3_A_SK3...

B&H # SESK300G3A MFR # SK300G3-A

to a 302 field mixer's xlr output?

concerns are balanced vs unbalanced and stereo vs mono.

I think this is the one that sennheiser makes for this application?:

B&H # SECL2 MFR # CL2

I know the sennheiser one has a screw on for the mini plug but its length is designed for a mike not a mixer. Too long. and I already have the comprehensive ones which are more robust and about the right length. But I want to make sure its the right tech specs.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: sennheiser G3 transmitter cable
on Nov 6, 2015 at 2:37:18 am

Hello Craig,

Probably not.

The G2/3 xmitter input is wire to accept mic on tip and line on ring (or vice versa) with ground going to sleeve.

MAYBE the cables you have selected will be successful. (but that's a big maybe)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 6, 2015 at 6:00:36 am

Thanks Ty,

Is the CL2 the right cable? It's too long is there one that is correct that I can order?

I tried the comprehensive cable and it sounds fine. I listened with headphones on the camcorder and the 302. Does that mean its ok or still might experience problems down the road?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 6, 2015 at 11:23:44 am

Craig,

If it works, it works!

It might be interesting to compare the two cables to see if there's any difference in sound.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 6, 2015 at 4:37:24 pm

Thanks TY,

If you use an unbalanced cable (not sure what these are in this regard) wouldn't it be more prone to interference even if it "works"? Or if it is the wrong type it just wouldn't work?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 6, 2015 at 4:43:43 pm

Craig,

I think technically, the input to the G2/G3 xmitters are unbalanced. Yes, there's a possibility of an issue with interference, but that's how the jacks are wired.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 6, 2015 at 5:04:04 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Nov 6, 2015 at 5:08:13 pm

Thanks

Makes sense since AFAIK mini plugs = unbalanced

Is that true?

This is why I asked

"The Sennheiser CL 2 is a 4.9' (1.5m) long connecting cable with a lockable 1/8" (3.5mm) mini-jack and

balanced

3-pin XLR female connector. The cable is specifically designed for connecting the evolution series portable EK transmitters to the professional audio outputs on microphones and line level devices."

The comprehensive is stereo - is that ok? does the transmitter output stereo?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 6, 2015 at 5:27:19 pm

Craig,

No, if the plug has two bands (and therefore three conductive pieces) a 1/8" TRS can be balanced.

With the G2/G3. however, they are using the tip and the ring as separate inputs; one for mic and one for line, so you're only using two at a time. e.g. tip and sleeve or ring and sleeve. Two conductors is unbalanced.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 6, 2015 at 10:00:39 pm

Thanks Ty I follow that.

what about the second question:

The comprehensive is stereo - is that ok? does the transmitter output stereo?

Also if Sennheiser's is not balanced why do they say it is?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 7, 2015 at 12:20:39 am

Transmitter don't output anything. They transmit.

The G3 is a mono device.

The receiver output may be balanced. It is also a mono device. Don't know if the comprehensive cable will work or not. It's about how it's wired - its plumbing, if you will.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 13, 2015 at 2:26:40 am

just a late follow up: it seems to be working fine. the cable seems more robust than the original. i'd prefer the screw on connection but in regular practice does not pull out during capture when in a field mixer bag.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]