FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frustrated with Premier and Audition enough to consider Pro Tools

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
Frustrated with Premier and Audition enough to consider Pro Tools
on Oct 31, 2015 at 5:39:26 pm

I jumped in to help a non-profit finish up their program edited in Premiere (after being ported over from another NLE)
The video is two people outdoors showing off various animals on a table in front of them.
I'm trying to fix audio in several ways.
1. The levels on each need to be matched better. One is hotter than another.
2. A microphone bump lost audio on one person and needs to be picked up from the other persons lav, boosted and have the extra ambience cleaned up.
3. Reduce wind noise some.

My problem is that I'm working in Premere with a stereo track and no way to work on each talent separately.
The entire dialogue is already heavily edited and on the timeline. Premiere can't turn it into dual mono tracks at the timeline. Same with Audition as far as I can figure out.

Pro Tools can control the two channels of stereo audio separately. (So can FCP7 & FCPX)

So, is this worth dumping audition and going with ProTools as this will probably come up again?

Input welcome!

Larry

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
Re: Frustrated with Premier and Audition enough to consider Pro Tools
on Oct 31, 2015 at 6:18:10 pm

[Larry Watts] "Premiere can't turn it into dual mono tracks at the timeline."

Have you tried this?: http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/stereo-to-dual-mono-premiere-pro/

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Oct 31, 2015 at 6:25:49 pm

Yes, but this only helps if you are not already in the timeline.

I have an almost competed timeline with too much work to go back

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 1, 2015 at 8:58:34 pm

Hello Larry and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I will NOT be a Pro Tools Nazi, but I have been using it for about 15 years. I was asked to be on the Audition development team. For reasons perhaps different than yours, I was unimpressed. Then there was the "we're going to the cloud" thing and I just said , "No."

Pro Tools/Avid is cloud-headed to some degree bit slightly differently.

I make my living with Pro Tools 10 (yes they are now at 12 or 13, but I haven't upgraded my Mac so I can't even run Pro Tools 11 until I do and I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

Splitting stereo track is as easy as selecting the stereo track and dragging it down to two mono tracks. You can adjust the level of each clip on the same timeline (track) with the mouse. (actually, I now prefer a track ball.)

on your #2….Hmm you probably won't get it to match very well, but yes, it can be done.

#3, yes you can contour the low end with EQ to lose some wind noise. Maybe try RX3, RX4 or the new RX5 to pull out some wind noise as well.

I'm a big fan of RX software. It may not make it perfect, but it can usually be used to make what you have less ugly.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Nov 14, 2015 at 8:00:36 pm

Thanks Ty!

BTW Do all the RX4 / RX5 tools become available in Pro tools as a plugin, or do you also need to open the standalone version at times for certain tasks?

Larry

Return to posts index

Matt Haughton
on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:09:19 am

Using the same whole-file, can you edit it externally, using whatever DAW you decide. Export the audio back out, same length, and "replace" the audio in your video editor? Wont it automatically grab the pieces from the new audio, and put them where the old ones were?

I might be wrong, just a thought.

I used to use ProTools exclusively. After having to babysit my rig for a decade, I bought Ableton. Love it for MIDI (both the instruments and piano roll/step sequencing) composition and general scratch track recording. When it's time to ACTUALLY track and record with Mic's my go-to is Magix. And all my post processing/mastering is done with Mixbus.

As an open-source advocate, the biggest bang for your buck may be Reaper. Or depending on your OS, Ardour. But, lets face it. there are a TON of options out there. Digital Performer, Cubase, Logic, Audacity has some occasionally handy tools.

The first thing you have to do is address your workflow requirements for a given project. Research the best tool for the job, see if they offer a demo/trial version of the software, try it for yourself.

A DAW is like a pair of work-boots. You have to find the one that FITS YOU!

Good luck my friend.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:50:53 am

Larry,

You can import a video clip with audio into Pro Tools, but just one clip at at time.

When you're done you export them back and they are together.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 16, 2015 at 9:44:27 am

HI Ty
Yes you can only import 1 video clip into pro Tools at a time, but you can import as many more as you wish to have on your timeline together and work on a timeline as big as you wish with many different video files - not just 1.

These things being asked about from OP see so basic I cant believe that the other software cant deliver.
Pro Tools will do all of this, but he should understand that plugins like Isotope arent free with PT.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 16, 2015 at 2:29:59 pm

Hi Peter,

Pro Tools 10 will only allow me in import one clip at a time.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 16, 2015 at 8:03:22 pm

Hi Ty
Donyt know why that should be.
As I said, I find i can only import 1 clip in any batch import, (so not a batch import at all!) but regularly have dozens of different video clips on the timeline at once. Thats in Pt10 and 11.
Peter
What version are you running. Is it something about HDX systems etc?

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 16, 2015 at 8:35:41 pm

Hey Peter,

Maybe it's a bonus with HDX. I by-pass the analog front end with better preamps and A/D conversion, but I'm running barefoot with a DIGI 003R.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Nov 25, 2015 at 11:10:05 am

Why is there not a Protools forum at the COW?

I've been doing lynda.com training on PT and the tools and flexibity are impressive.
I'm in TV and film so having access to other editors is significant.

So where do PT users collaborate?

Larry

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 25, 2015 at 2:57:06 pm

Hi Larry,

I'm lagging a bit, still on version 10, but I've been making a living with PT for about 15 years.

The Digidesign Users Community (DUC) is a good place to start.

http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]