FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations for Audio System

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Blanton
Recommendations for Audio System
on Oct 30, 2015 at 8:31:04 am

I am currently looking to buy a good quality audio setup for film-making. I've put my budget at about $1,000, but this could be pushed a little if needed. The film-making is both indoor and outdoor. Both the camera and the actors will often be moving.

I'm currently planning on buying the RODE NTG3 shotgun microphone off eBay for $510, along with the WS7 wind screen for $57. For my digital audio recorder I was going to plug the NTG3 into the Zoom H4N, which costs $200. I already have access to a boom pole and a shock mount. These seem like fairly common, well-reviewed products. Would this set-up be good for mid to high audio quality?

I also wanted to buy a lavalier mic. After reading and watching many reviews I am having a very hard time deciding what lavalier system I should buy. I could very clearly hear the differences in audio quality among the various shotgun microphones, but not so much with the lavaliers. Other than very inexpensive or low quality lavs, they all sounded great to me. Is this true or do I just not have an ear for it? I would ideally like something that could just plug straight into my Zoom H4N. I think these often need adapters. How exactly do I find the correct adapter?

For the lav set-up I was considering buying a lavalier microphone for ideally under $150 and buying a Zoom H1 to plug it into. Then I could plug the lav into either the H4N or the H1, or plug the shotgun mic into the H4N and a lav into the H1 and record both at once. Is this a good idea or is there a better solution? Also, is there a recommendation for a lav around or under $150?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Recommendations for Audio System
on Nov 1, 2015 at 5:09:42 am

Let me put this to you, the system you have quoted should be regarded as low- medium level system.
Just a couple of questions why go for a H4n, yes they were the first of its type around and has changed low end production in many ways, but it came out in 2009 and in technology years thats a LONG time ago, there are many other recorders around that may suit your needs better and have better battery life (one thing the H4n is poor battery life when running phantom powered mics).
Perhaps think about it another way... would you be rushing out to buy a PC to do your video productions if it was running Windows Vista or Windows 7? And thats the same era as the H4n.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 6, 2015 at 10:44:40 pm

so which recorder would you recommend?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Rob Dunford
on Nov 7, 2015 at 11:26:36 am

Only a recorder? No mixer? I use a SD 552. It wasn't cheap, but it's bullet proof. It has just about everything I need and some more. In my experience if it doesn't have proper knobs and switches then in the heat of the moment you will lose out.
Unfortunately, in the pro audio world, there is still quite a gulf between prosumer and professional.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 7, 2015 at 2:53:27 pm

But, fortumately there is a decided difference and also, the pro audio gear you buy today will still be relevant for ten years or more.

My 442 mixer is still quite relevant and I've had it for almost 20 years. Same for my Schoeps mics. My K-tek carbon fiber boom is over 20 years old.

The Sennheiser G2 and G3 wireless weren't really supposed to be professional, but they made them too well and they sounded good enough.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 7, 2015 at 9:23:03 pm

I recently got a SD 603 and use 302 mixers every day. I was asking for the OP. There are good recorders for lower budgets. You do get what you pay for. But the small audio recorders will get the job done for low budget video. and can be more practical for one man crews.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 1, 2015 at 9:03:16 pm

Hello Jonathan and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Brian makes a good case. If you're going to be in it for the long haul. Start by getting the best tools you can NOW, instead of buying too cheap which will force you to have to buy AGAIN later.

What kind of work do you expect to be doing the next two years?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Nov 8, 2015 at 3:41:56 am

This is worth a read....
http://rtsound.net/?p=401

Return to posts index