FORUMS: list search recent posts

My new favourite mic mounting lacation

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Peter Groom
My new favourite mic mounting lacation
on Oct 28, 2015 at 11:43:37 am

Like lots of field recordists i often struggle with noisy clothing etc when trying to mount a personal mic on a preformer, especially if theres much movement.
My new favourite place is mounting the capsule (with a rycote fluffy) just inside the performers hairline. Running the cable back throught the hair , down back oh head (all of which is quite easy to conceal) down neck, covered with some skin coloured tape, and down inside shirt etc.

I find that the sound is crisp, doesnt rustle, always perfectly positioned and generally a winner - EXCEPT on baldies!

Anyone else used this, or fahe any other killer locations?
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: My new favourite mic mounting lacation
on Oct 30, 2015 at 7:51:21 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Oct 30, 2015 at 3:40:29 pm

Learned this trick at NAB years ago from (IIRC) the Countryman Rep who, after I noted seeing Star Search winner Sam Harris in a touring show of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat gave away the secret of how they mic'd Mr. Harris when all he wore on-stage was a loincloth in the Egypt scenes! Hair mic and Moleskin strip down the spine to hide the wire. Those Broadway stage folk are crazy smart at stagecraft!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: My new favourite mic mounting lacation
on Nov 1, 2015 at 12:07:24 pm

The "B" in Countryman B3 & B6 lavs stand for "Broadway". Hair mounting is called a Broadway mount. Advantages are talent is never off mic and it sounds like a boom mic.

"I push the RECORD button and hope for the best"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]