FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noise canceling device in Office making audio cut in and out

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Dean
Noise canceling device in Office making audio cut in and out
on Oct 26, 2015 at 1:47:20 pm

Hello, I work for a company that owns several buildings. In any given week we are shooting in 3-4 different locations. Some of the floors in the buildings we shoot in have noise canceling devices. In certain areas of buildings when someone is speaking into the mic their audio in-between words cuts to nothing and is only picking up the highs in their voice.

Ive been told by the people I work with that it is because of the noise canceling devices set up through the campus. Because you can walk in and out of certain rooms, and floors and the issue will start and then stop. It doesnt seem to effect the boom mic, just the wireless lavs.

Has anyone ran into any issues with this before?

We use the Sennheiser G3 unit with countryman b6 mics.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Noise canceling device in Office making audio cut in and out
on Oct 26, 2015 at 3:55:44 pm

That seems rather difficult to believe, especially since we don't know the nature of the "noise cancelling" scheme.

But, if that is the case, it would appear that you must simply work around it.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Dean
on Oct 26, 2015 at 5:46:01 pm

Thanks Richard. I spoke with the people who run those types of devices for our company. Waiting on an exact location to do a test, but it looks like it is a White Noise Inducing device instead of a Noise Canceling device.

Which you think would just add unwanted sound, so maybe there is a different issue with the lav mics. I dont think it is the packs because it works fine with the boom that we do for everything as well.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Oct 26, 2015 at 11:53:44 pm

It seems quite possible (probable, even) that you have an RF interference issue. We don't know what frequency band(s?) you are using or where you are. Have you done any kind of spectrum survey to confirm that you aren't trying to operate your wireless devices in places where others are trying to use the same channels?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Dean
on Oct 27, 2015 at 12:06:20 am

IT and our AV team have mapped out the best frequencies for us to use in downtown detroit. There are a lot of wireless set ups from building to building, so we have to frequency hop often to get a strong RF signal. We use a wireless sennheizer pack for our boom as well with out issue. But the two G3 Lav units run into the same issue in the same locations, even after changing the frequencies. RF signal on the reciever shows strong when connected and no RF signal when the transmitter is turned off. Which leads me to think it isnt a frequencie issue, but rather something else with the countryman mics.

I am hoping i hear back this week about what and where the white noise inducing devices are located to try and AB it to see if thats the case.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 27, 2015 at 12:12:28 am

Why not use xlrs given the situation

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 27, 2015 at 2:02:12 pm

Surely pulling the plug out on these devices will tell you (and Im very sceptical) if they are your root cause?
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 15, 2015 at 10:32:41 pm

Is it possible the squelch settings in the lav units are different from those in the boom unit?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]